Paper: Nanodiamond Particles in Marine Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friction, Wear and Scuffing Characteristics of Marine Engine Lubricants with Nanodiamond Particles

Interesting paper on using synthetic diamonds for lubrication, however the paper itself I think has some problems. The beginning of the abstract seems to have nothing to do with the rest of the paper since they are talking about using the nanodiamonds to replace environmentally unfriendly chemical additives, but none of the testing they did actually addressed that. The nanodiamonds were only used to top treat those formulations rather than replace them.

Interesting results though; I wonder what the cost of that powder is
shocked2.gif

The cost of the diamond dust might not be all that great. I've seen jewelers and coin/pawn shops literally throw out all the very tiny stones in most rings, and keep the gold or silver. To them, they're more trouble than they're worth. Of course, when buying from a jeweler at retail you're paying through the nose for those dozens to hundreds of tiny stones.

"Industrial" diamonds are commonly synthetic, first made by GE several decades ago they are not gem quality, but they are used for cutting, and grinding, among other things. I'm not sure I'd want them in an engine.

Diamonds, being harder than any metal in your engine circulating around would shred everything it came in contact with.

Originally Posted By: Ddieselsmoke
Diamonds, being harder than any metal in your engine circulating around would shred everything it came in contact with.

I think you may have missed something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back