Timken Hub Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjk
Just received it from Rock Auto, for my Tahoe.

Glad to see "Made in the USA" on the box. We all know this is becoming a rarity.

Hopefully not just the box was made in USA

eek.gif

Opened it up, "Made in USA" is on the bearing... who knows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Glad to see "Made in the USA" on the box. We all know this is becoming a rarity.

Like this hose nozzle?

a4y7gz.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
USA is a city in China.

I assume you're joking, but in case you aren't...

Imported items must be labeled with a country of origin, not a city of origin.

These silly rumors stared years ago because someone noticed a city in Japan named Usa, and started claiming that it was named that to bypass labeling rules. That rumor was never true. Labeling an imported item with a city of manufacture instead of the country of origin would be a violation of U.S. labeling rules.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Like this hose nozzle?

Gilmour ? hah I have one of those

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Like this hose nozzle?

a4y7gz.jpg

While this is a comical example that people like to tout online, that hose nozzle is probably a violation of U.S. regulations regarding labeling something as "made in the USA." It depends on what the packaging said. I hope whoever bought that reported it to the FTC.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Quote:
What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Claims like "the box was made in the USA" are for some reason oft-repeated by some people on this forum, but they're not accurate.

Labeling a box "made in the USA" because the box, not the item inside, was made in the USA would violate FTC rules.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard
Quote:
What kinds of claims does the Enforcement Policy Statement apply to?
The Enforcement Policy Statement applies to U.S. origin claims that appear on products and labeling, advertising, and other promotional materials. It also applies to all other forms of marketing, including marketing through digital or electronic mechanisms, such as Internet or e-mail.

USA is a city in China.

Would you care to point that out on a map for us?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Claims like "the box was made in the USA" are for some reason oft-repeated by some people on this forum, but they're not accurate.

Labeling a box "made in the USA" because the box, not the item inside, was made in the USA would violate FTC rules.
Quote:
What kinds of claims does the Enforcement Policy Statement apply to?
The Enforcement Policy Statement applies to U.S. origin claims that appear on products and labeling, advertising, and other promotional materials. It also applies to all other forms of marketing, including marketing through digital or electronic mechanisms, such as Internet or e-mail.

it was a tongue -in-cheek comment

I think the plastic liner on the water hose nozzle should be what we have made in China. The nozzle should have been made here. I hope that all changes up in the next ten years. Let China make the cheap stuff and we take back the other stuff. Lets make electronics and appliances here again.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I think the plastic liner on the water hose nozzle should be what we have made in China. The nozzle should have been made here. I hope that all changes up in the next ten years. Let China make the cheap stuff and we take back the other stuff. Lets make electronics and appliances here again.

I miss my old Zenith TV

Originally Posted By: Kruse
USA is a city in China.

It was a joke... Did I offend you?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
USA is a city in China.

It was a joke... Did I offend you?

No more than normal.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have personally seen parts and tools from Napa where the box said Made in USA, and the actual item inside said Made in China.

I am sure you are correct. If you actually read through my posts, you'd see the bearing is stamped 'Made in USA'... not just the box. Perhaps the rest of the assembly was made in China...who knows how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back