Valvoline 5w40 vs. Valvoline 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Meijer yesterday and had to check the oil section. To my surprise, they carried Valvoline 5w40 as well as 0w40 which I didn't know existed. I've always been a M1 0w40 user because of it's price, along with rebates and availability although I've used Pennzoil Ultra Euro in the past when I was able to find it at $2 a quart.

I am having a hard time finding info on the 2 Valvoline oils. From what it appeared, the 0w40 carried 1 less VW approval than the 5w40.
21.gif

Note that Valvoline has several different versions of their 5W-40. They have a full-SAPS version (HST) which is what appears to be presented here and they have a mid-SAPS version (MST) that carries different approvals, has lower TBN, and has a different additive package.

These two PDS's state that this information applies ONLY to product manufactured in Europe. The North American offering may differ.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
No sodium in the add pack in Europe, IIRC

I didn't know that. That would be rather significant that to get the European mfg approvals Valvoline has to drop the sodium and follow the more standard add pack protocol of heavy calcium + boron + moly. So why the sodium add pack for the US? Is it just profits?

It's supposed to be cheaper than either Calcium or Magnesium based detergents. It used to be in Castrol GTX 10w40, although I've never seen Sodium used in a major brand full synthetic. Oddly enough apart from acting as a detergent it also has a secondary anti wear effect.
Sodium adds sure make interpreting a UOA difficult, as it makes them look like HG failures, as not all anti freezes contain both Sodium and Potassium.

Last edited:
No sodium in Euro line up.
OP, reason why 0W40 carries one less approval is that 0W40 is HST meaning it has high SAPS, which is not suitable for today's diesels. 5W40 MST that I use in BMW is suitable for diesels but has enough SAPS for VW gasoline engine (BMW and MB do not think that it could fit their gasoline engines).
They are good oils. I am actually about to dump that oil today and send sample to Blackstone on Monday, so we will see. I like that Valvoline is very transparent in numbers, unlike M1 and Castrol.

I have both of these oils. The 0w40 is full-SAPS, the 5w40 is mid-SAPS. And oddly, the 0w40 has lower NOACK.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I have both of these oils. The 0w40 is full-SAPS, the 5w40 is mid-SAPS. And oddly, the 0w40 has lower NOACK.

Probably same version as Euro 0W40.
MST is bit different then Euro version.

FWIW, page two of the Synpower datasheet PDF has the Euro oils.

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Thanks for posting that. I didn't realize that the Valvoline 40 grades were high calcium/no sodium. Plenty of Zinc/Phos. Good HTHS. No mention of Boron/Moly concentrations. Very similar to M1 0w-40 including the approvals. Another pair of oils I would consider using if found on sale.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Thanks for posting that. I didn't realize that the Valvoline 40 grades were high calcium/no sodium. Plenty of Zinc/Phos. Good HTHS. No mention of Boron/Moly concentrations. Very similar to M1 0w-40 including the approvals. Another pair of oils I would consider using if found on sale.

I just took out 5W40 MST after 5,200 miles. Will post UOA after I get it back.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I was referring to Euro version of 5W40 MST, the one made in Netherlands and sold in EU.
Sorry for misunderstanding.

Oh ya I knew what you meant, my post wasn't in reply to you, it was for everyone who had a hard time finding the spec sheet.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I just took out 5W40 MST after 5,200 miles. Will post UOA after I get it back.

The UOA will be interesting indeed.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
It's supposed to be cheaper than either Calcium or Magnesium based detergents. It used to be in Castrol GTX 10w40, although I've never seen Sodium used in a major brand full synthetic. Oddly enough apart from acting as a detergent it also has a secondary anti wear effect.
Sodium adds sure make interpreting a UOA difficult, as it makes them look like HG failures, as not all anti freezes contain both Sodium and Potassium.

Sodium was used in Castrol GTX 10W40? Where? When? If it was, it must have been prior to 1995 and even then, I think I might have heard about it. Are you sure you're not getting confused with Tungsten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back