The best type of transmission/gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas

All dispels have always been direct injection - its not a fiat thing

That was a recent(early-2000s) development on the passenger car/light truck side of things. The old Mercedes/VW, Isuzu and the even rarer Toyota/Nissan diesels were indirect. Even the older Ford Powerstroke and it's Navistar forerunner were indirect injection.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm a manual fan but IMHO the best, hardest to kill automatic ever made was the GM THM 400. They sold a lot of them to high end foreign users such as RR.

thumbsup2.gif

The Turbo 400, C6, and TorqueFlite 727 were all monster units.

lets not forget the power glide...indestructable.

Originally Posted By: nthach

That was a recent(early-2000s) development on the passenger car/light truck side of things. The old Mercedes/VW, Isuzu and the even rarer Toyota/Nissan diesels were indirect. Even the older Ford Powerstroke and it's Navistar forerunner were indirect injection.

Direct injection: 1989 FIAT Chroma, Audi 80 in 1991.
Common rail injection: 1997 Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD and 2.4 JTD (had this engine in Lancia).

Direct injection was used for a long time in tanks etc. But in passenger vehicles due to noise and vibration only since 1989.
Ford, GM etc. truck were late n this game since price of fuel in Europe pushed European manufacturers to speed development of this technology.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Recently I drove three cars; a SAAB 9-3 Estate, a Opel Vectra Estate and an Alfa GT. All three cars had the same engine, the FIATs Multijet 150 hp.

The 9-3 and the Vectra are same GM Epsilon chassis (albeit Vectra is the LWB and tad heavier), Alfa is bespoke and the lightest.

SAAB is,automatic (Aisin IIRC), others manual. Opel has longer gearing than the sporty Alfa, but on pair with 9-3.
Point is: 9-3 accelerates just as fast as Alfa, Vectra is slower (heavy bus)
9-3 doesn't consume more than Vectra manual (there is a weight difference).

Vectra has a GM f40 gearbox that isn't the nicest out there, I'd prefer automatic in car like this.
A SAAB with a FIAT engine, I didn't think even GM could sink that low.

Lol, I do not think you ever had opportunity to drive Multijet engine or JTD engine from FIAT. In the end, FIAT is company which brought common-rail to the passenger vehicles in 1997 and direct injection diesel to passenger vehicles in FIAT Chroma.
FIAT engines are so bad, that while GM managed to bankrupt SAAB, FIAT owns Chrysler.

LOL. Yeah, stay away from diesels.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm a manual fan but IMHO the best, hardest to kill automatic ever made was the GM THM 400. They sold a lot of them to high end foreign users such as RR.

thumbsup2.gif

The Turbo 400, C6, and TorqueFlite 727 were all monster units.

Yep, I have seen TH400 transmissions that still worked when pulled that were tore up to Hades inside. As another poster mentioned, the Powerglide can be made tough as nails. It is what we run in our drag car that is hovering around 900HP.

Only problem with the 400 and especially the C6 was they took quite a bit of power to turn.

I like a properly geared manual transmission and prefer it for towing. But, finding something with a 6:1 or lower (numerically higher) first gear isn't too easy any more. 1st gear in my Focus is equivalent to 3rd gear in the F350 with a maunal.

I'm good with automatics as long as the model doesn't start with 4 and come from Chrysler. I prefer automatics off road. Only took one trip where I smelled clutch all day to realize I didn't want an automatic in the rocks.

Give me something that will put up with 200K maintained miles of how I use the vehicle and I'll be happy. CVT, Manual, Conventional auto.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

You show your lack of diesel knowledge.

Some people, like myself, like the indirect injection diesels ...

Originally Posted By: chrisri
FIAT never had problems with their drivetrain, problems were /are with their final products, Mediterranean mentality, poor fit and finish, and nonexistent quality control outside of drivetrain components.

Yes. I've owned a number of FIATs and FIAT-engined Lancias, and the naturally-aspirated drivetrains were rock-solid (supercharged and turbocharged ones not so much). It was the rest of the car that broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back