Shop might of caused a leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've been having a VERY small oil leak. I thought it was due to loose drain plug bolt or something simple, nothing serious a drop or 2 a day. I was going to look into when i get my oil change done.

Today i did the oil change and looked under there, oil pan and oil filter BONE dry. I notice my cross member a little coated in oil, and then i see it. Seepage from my front diff.

Around August of this year, i had my passenger axle replaced by a shop. Because i couldn't pop the axle out of the diff. Paid the shop, they did the work everything is good. I didn't think to put one and one together, the oil leak MIGHT of started happening after that. The leak isn't a huge one just slightly on the pass side of the front diff. So i'm thinking MAYBE the axle seal got damaged.

I dont even know what to do at this point, i just sprayed brakeclean and cleaned up what i could. Maybe it was leftover spillage from when they pulled the axle but never cleaned it up? I dont want to start pointing fingers, because i really dont know. Its a minor leak but i'll keep tabs on it.

What would you guys do? Its a small neighborhood shop, I've used them like 3 times. Wheel bearing, evap leaks, alignment and the CV axle. The car was bone dry when i did the oil change in March.

I'd wait until if you see that your recent clean up may have solved the problem. Then if you still have the leak, go to the shop and discuss it with them. I know if I had a leak of 1-2 drops per day from anywhere on the car that had just started....I wouldn't do anything rash to fix it. Just monitor it and keep a piece of cardboard under there.

What car? If it's something with some age and miles, replacing the axle seal is probably a good idea when replacing the axle. Did you just go to the shop and say "put this axle in," or did the shop suggest replacing the axle based on their diagnosis? If you just asked them to replace the axle based on your own diagnosis and they simply did the labor you asked for, I'd say it's probably on you if the axle seal is leaking, especially if it's an older or higher mileage car. If they suggested the axle replacement and said nothing about the seal prior, you'd have grounds for them to replace the axle seal on their dime now that it's leaking.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
What car? If it's something with some age and miles, replacing the axle seal is probably a good idea when replacing the axle. Did you just go to the shop and say "put this axle in," or did the shop suggest replacing the axle based on their diagnosis? If you just asked them to replace the axle based on your own diagnosis and they simply did the labor you asked for, I'd say it's probably on you if the axle seal is leaking, especially if it's an older or higher mileage car. If they suggested the axle replacement and said nothing about the seal prior, you'd have grounds for them to replace the axle seal on their dime now that it's leaking.

Its on my G35x. And yes, i went to the shop and told them i have the axle in the trunk, please install. I noticed the axle boot broken when i was doing brakes in July.

I'm thinking the axle seal MIGHT have been broken during their removal/install. Yes i would agree that given the age of the car, its a fair chance that it was doing to leak at any time, but the fact that it happens on the same side that axle work recently just got done on.

Hopefully, it isn't leaking, I did a good clean up job on it and i'll just keep an eye out for now. It might be hard with winter and salt coming around tho

Last edited:
Those axle seals get damaged real easy because of the force required to pop the axle free. I've even gone ahead and bought the factory seal installers to have on hand.

I'm thinking the seal too. Also since it's 10 years old, it may not have been a bad idea to replace it anyways while they were in there.

Ask me how I know.

I have never had an axle seal fail. I did have one leak after I reinstalled an axle. I removed the axle and cleaned up the seal surface with scotchbrite very thoroughly. Polished it up. Then cleaned the seal very well and lubed both with lots of new grease. No leak. I must have got some dirt on the seal or twisted it somehow. Those seals are very high quality.

in hindsight, i should of gotten the seal done as well but that didn't happen so i'm at the point where i have to pay the labor all over again to get this done.

Do you feel i should have a leg to stand on with the shop? Or should i just take the hit and pay the labor, i think it was $150-200 to R/I the axle.

I normally would do the axle myself but for some reason i couldn't pop that axle out of this one. I've done them on other cars where i had a pry spot but this one didn't have it.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
in hindsight, i should of

*whispers* pssssst, it's not "might of" or "should of." It's might've or should've. Sounds the same though.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back