Oil extractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I wouldn't do it, it can't get all the oil like pulling the plug for 10 minutes!

What proof do you have to verify this?

I've pulled oil pans to verify that this does work.

It works just fine. Warm up the engine first and it goes quick. Pull the drain plug after to confirm if you are so worried about it. It will just be a few drips like after waiting with the drain plug out.

if you do it with oil warm it will be a few minutes. On cold oil it can take sometimes twice as long. If you like to also do a quick replacement of powersteering fluid reservoir you can work that in too. Suck up powersteering reservoir. Then start sucking the engine oil. Fill powersteering reservoir, replace oil filter, and by that time you should be ready to finish or check on your oil extraction/reposition the tube and get the last bits it can reach out.

As far as the old oil argument, some drains are also not positioned where all the oil drains out so sometimes extractors get more. So you are OCDing over nothing. You're never getting all the oil out of your car unless you're doing flushes and double oil changes each time. If you're the type that is scared of the "old oil", that begs the question of the massive damage the bad oil was doing to your vehicles the lst miles prior to your change. The oil doesn't suddenly turn bad just at the moment you begin your oil change.

At least on my cars, after extraction, to refill to full takes specced fluid capacity.

Last edited:
Agreed. Mine works very well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wouldn't do it, it can't get all the oil like pulling the plug for 10 minutes!

What proof do you have to verify this?

I've pulled oil pans to verify that this does work.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How long does it take to suck up an oil change with an extractor?

Depends on the viscosity of oil and the ambient temperature. ATF is rather quick however Gear oil takes forever.

Oil pumps can get as much oil out as the sump plug if the design of the block does not make it difficult to reach the bottom of the sump. They only take 5 minutes or so to use, even if it's a manual pump, BUT I always measure the amount pumped out as a cross check.
My TDI has a capacity of 5.6 liters and I can drain out 5 liters if the oil filter is not changed, or 5.3 liters if it is. So the residual oil in the block is 0.3 liters, although that depends a lot on the oil temperature.
I've only used a friends Pela manual pump once and the drain figures were the same.

Oddly enough most oil filter manufacturers have stopped supplying the free Copper (Diesel) or Alloy (Gas) sump plug washer, so using a pump now saves you money!

PS: Nothing wrong with mixing a little used residual oil with the new liquid Gold, as it tends to reduce the issue of overactive detergents damaging the old anti wear layer faster than it can bake on a new layer.

Last edited:

If you're that obsessed about getting all of the oil, then how do you get all of the oil that is still left in the heads when you pull the drain plug?

I'd certainly consider buying one if I owned a car that had the oil filter accessible from the top, I'd never have to get under the car to do an oil change.

At first I was concerned that these things would leave a pool of dirty oil in the pan, but then I found out that a lot of pans do that anyway due to their design.

There are plenty of these hand operated pumps available on the market, with prices ranging from $45 to $150 and up. And there is an old Mercedes tech that did a review of them on YouTube...he determined that the Topsider exchange pump was his favorite...it was more sturdy and made of metal.

Last edited:
I use mine all the time for power steering, Brake fluid, Transmissions but my truck has some kind of baffle that prevents me from getting all the oil out. But like it's been said above, make sure the fluid is warm and it goes a lot faster.

Well I take it you have not worked on to many boats ... Only way to do most of them. And what's so precious about getting the last drop, which you can't anyway, no matter how you do it?

There are good technical papers that show that oils make unique AW compounds during their run in an engine. The suggested best strategy is to leave 10% of the old oil to keep some of these in service while the new batch is being made during the OCI. Some folks do this by doing filters every other time (me) and some do it by changing the filter a week later. In either case it's not about getting the last drop ...

"PS: Nothing wrong with mixing a little used residual oil with the new liquid Gold, as it tends to reduce the issue of overactive detergents damaging the old anti wear layer faster than it can bake on a new layer."

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
your last sentence may start a new topic

Not a new topic, well discussed over in Technical Papers forum
smile.gif

Last edited:
I found a medical evacuation unit at the flea market. Electric with a glass 1 liter bottle. Used mostly for small engines, brakes and power steering pumps. Think it was $40. Probably over $400 new. Glass collection bottle is nice to see what your getting out.

I'd totally have an oil extractor if I had a car with a top mounted oil filter, since all of them require me to jack it up to get the oil filter out and a drain pan to catch the oil I just pull the plug.

Having an extractor for other fluid replacements like rear diffs where I don't want to pull the cover is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back