Butter...Imported???

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years we bought Land O' Lakes butter, mostly out of habit. When it became too pricey ($5/lb and up) we started buying the Kroger brand and honestly can't tell any difference. Lately, I've seen various imported brands in the Kroger deli section from France-Belgium-Ireland-Italy. Wondering if anyone has experience with such. Better-or not-or the same for table use? How about cooking/baking? Or is it just a status thing? The French butter was recently on sale, so I bought 7 oz for $2.29. It'll be a while 'til I get around to using it.

GrtArtiste

There is a difference in flavor but for me only with super premium butter.

Kates Butter from Old Orchard Beach is heavenly.
20.gif
I think they ship.

Years ago we found a local dairy farmer that sold butter to his neighbors. It was really better than any butter we found in a grocery store. I don't know what he does to make it different or if it's because it's fresh, I don't know. I think we pay a bit more but use so little that it's worth the extra cost. In fact since I got sick a few years ago we buy almost everything in the way of meat, produce etc from local farmers in an effort to eat better.

The problem with a lot of food today is not the small producers but the big industrial operations, the handlers and the distributors and the requirements for shelf life and transportation.

Try for a local farm. I think they still have lots of cows in Ohio so you don't have to go somewhere else.

I don't know if you know this or not, but dairy products cause cancer. No, you're not going to hear this on the TV news. But that's what the peer review science says. Read it for yourself.
http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/
And believe it or not, American dairy is a lot worse than European. So if you're intent on eating the stuff, I'd go with the import. Good luck.

I grew up on Falfurrius Butter and this prompted me to track it down a bit. "Texas tradition since1909" still on the box that has looked the same for decades ... This family had a big herd of Jerseys for the dairy "ranch/farm" ...

Found out it has been sold a few times - still production in Texas - but not the same butter ...
oh well, pass the butter please ...

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I don't know if you know this or not, but dairy products cause cancer. No, you're not going to hear this on the TV news. But that's what the peer review science says. Read it for yourself.
And believe it or not, American dairy is a lot worse than European. So if you're intent on eating the stuff, I'd go with the import. Good luck.

So does smoking...drinking alcohol...air pollution...red meat...I could probably go on. We're all going to die from something. If the amount of butter, cheese and ice cream I eat is the cause of my demise...so be it. But I know millions consume more dairy than I do. I wonder why they aren't all dropping like flies.

Wikipedia says the doctor that sells the books that promotes the referenced website said that a single meal rich in animal products can "cripple" one's arteries.

It's also a well known FACT that laboratory tests causes cancer in mice.

We haven't used a single tub of margarine in our house in 15 years...if anything is going to cause cancer in the realm of spreads for your toast, it's margarine.

Grain fed butter is nutritionally inferior to grass fed, so if you can get nice yellow butter, got for it.

remember when the fat on your beef used to be yellow/orange, and the grain feedlotting industry convinced us that whit fat was "cleaner"...

Very good thread (in my humble opinion).

Just one more thing to remember about "regular stuff" which is imported......

Their industries get subsidized too. Sometimes it's free shipping. Sometimes it's lower tariffs and duties.

A glut of Danish drinking yogurt or French butter or Yugoslavian wine can go away.

If you can keep track you can call yourself a consultant. Kira

Raised on oleo. until I met MDW. Been butter ever since and cheese whole milk and cream. Lately MDW comes home with Irish butter or Finlandia. I don't use enough of the stuff to matter. Love all types of Dairy.

Thank you for giving me one more thing to worry about...
smirk.gif

When I travel to Europe, the butter does taste better. A lot better. Never had the imported stuff over here.

For spreading on bread/sandwiches , i use Kerrygold.

For cooking, I can't really tell much difference between local and imported stuff.

I mostly use Irish or French butter for taste (potatoes bread etc) I use domestic butter for cooking. Never use margarine or other spreads, had enough of that as a kid.

I live in a top Dairy producing state and I work in agriculture. I'm buying from my neighbors (figuratively) not from across the pond. If I want something different I'll source it from here.

That said, Kerrygold does taste good. You can also find Amish butter.

I buy Kroger 2 for $5 packages for cooking. Kerrygold for eating straight. Also tried the French President butter. Regular US store butter is very bland just like the cheese. European is much better but more expensive. Even Aldi stocks European cheese and butter same with Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back