Torque spec for banjo bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an aluminum oil filter adapter that has a 10mm steel banjo bolt for the turbo oil feed line. The last one I stripped due to poor fit of the original line and the filter adapter had to be replaced. So with two new copper washers and around 120 lb" it was still weeping. How tight can I go?

Yes no spec listed in my manual. It's the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I did find a brake banjo bolt spec from Wilwood brakes for 10mm at 120lb" and no more than 144lb".

Copper washer against an aluminum body doesn't seem like it would work very well. The washer is supposed to be softer than the parts it is crushed between.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Copper washer against an aluminum body doesn't seem like it would work very well. The washer is supposed to be softer than the parts it is crushed between.
That's what came OE though.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Yes no spec listed in my manual. It's the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I did find a brake banjo bolt spec from Wilwood brakes for 10mm at 120lb" and no more than 144lb".

The front caliper banjo bolt on my Jeep specs 18 ft. lbs. 120+ ft. lbs. seems very high, unless I misunderstand your application. A general Google search shows a torque of 12 to 30 ft. lbs. +/-.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brake+banjo+bolt+torque&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Originally Posted By: mk378

One of (the harder of) these surfaces should have a phonographic finish (series of rings), also.

Is the bolt 10mm across the wrench flats or is the threaded diameter 10mm ?

Makes a big difference in torque specs between the two.

It's a 10mm-1.5 thread and a 15mm hex. No rings on the filter mount surface either.

So it's an M10 x 1.5mm

That bolt will take quite a bit of torque. I'd use either a long pattern wrench or an 8-inch 3/8 drive ratchet and put some muscle into it. You could even use an 11-inch ratchet and lay off a little.

You can use a chart like this for a basic idea.

I just did a Camero, the hose banjo bolt spec is 41 ft lb in the aluminum caliper. Most cars are between 15-40 ft lb, I would try 15 ft.lb first go up in 5lb increments but I probably wouldn't go more than 30 ft.lb.

I'm worried about stripping the threads on the aluminum filter adapter where the bolt screws in. That's what stripped before.

What caused the initial stripping out was due to the replacement oil line from ATP which was marketed for the Genesis Coupe 2L turbo had too thick of a banjo and the oil line was an inch too short. So after a couple R&Rs it stripped out. Here is the OE bolt and the ATP banjo.

banjo-bolt-and-atp-fitting.jpg

I got a bolt from a Dodge application that was a couple mm longer.

ATP did send a new line 1 inch longer and with a slimmer banjo for no charge.

I tightened it up to 150 lb in yesterday and it was still leaking. So I cranked it a bit more today. If it's still leaking then I guess some aluminum washers are what I need.

Yes that bolt is very short on threads, 4 threads isn't nearly enough. If its a 10mm bolt you need a minimum of 15mm threads or 1.5x the bolt O.D. I would try aluminum washers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back