VW/Audi Have Highest Engine Failure Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
German cars lose out in reliability survey
A recent survey has found that German cars, including Audi, BMW and VW, are among the worst when it comes to engine failure.

German cars lose out in reliability survey
German brands, including Volkswagen, didn't perform well in the study by Warranty Direct

Chris Knapman By Chris Knapman6:30AM GMT 22 Jan 2013

German cars are not as reliable as their reputation suggests. That's according to one warranty provider, which has studied its database to reveal the makes of cars most and least likely to have engine problems.

Warranty Direct, which with 50,000 policies on its books is the UK's leading supplier of direct consumer warranties, claims that Audis, BMWs and Volkswagens have some of the least reliable engines available.
Indeed, among the cars owned by its policy holders, the only engines to have failed more than Audis were those from the now defunct MG Group. In total 1 in 13 of MG Rover motors failed in the past year, and problems presented themselves in 1 in every 27 Audi engines. Mini was the third least reliable with a failure rate of 1 in 40, while BMW finished seventh (1 in 45) and Volkswagen ninth (1 in 52).
The most reliable engines came from Honda, with a failure rate of just 1 in 344, with Toyota in second (1 in 171) and, maintaining some honour for the German brands, Mercedes in third (1 in 119).
The company also pointed out the high cost of repair that can be associated with engine problems. In its highest claim, which was for a Range Rover Vogue, an engine failure cost £12,998.46.
Related Articles
New motorcycle test regulations explained 21 Jan 2013
How car insurance costs have changed 21 Jan 2013
Detroit motor show 2013: Ford Atlas 21 Jan 2013
Ford and BMW warn against UK exit from EU 20 Jan 2013
Batmobile sells for $4.2 million 20 Jan 2013
Win a Peugeot 208 GTi race drive 18 Jan 2013
Duncan McClure Fisher, Warranty Direct Managing Director, said: "Engine failures are the biggest fear for any motorist as they're the ones that can lead to the most astronomical costs because of the parts and hours or labour required to fix them. The number of failures may be low compared to areas such as axle and suspension damage but engine repairs almost always result in costs reaching the thousands for motorists who aren't covered by a warranty."
Engine reliability - top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct
1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)
2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)
3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)
4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)
5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)
6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)
7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)
8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)
9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)
10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)
Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct
1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)
2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)
3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)
4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)
5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)
6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)
7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)
8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)
9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)
10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)

The Telegraph

Could those German cars being driven like mad on the Autobahns have something to do with this? It's a thought.

I assume these failures are withing the warranty periods of the engines? Or was the data normalized for 60K, 75K, or 100K miles? Can't compare a 100K mile engine warranty with one having 3 yrs.

And what's considered a "warranty failure?" If it's an engine bearing or a turbo failure, that's a big deal. Now a coil pack failure, that's nothing. The more high tech, the more failures. More turbos, superchargers, etc. probably means more failures. What about TDI?

Provided by 3rd party warranty group so.... bad sampling ... and old.

Quote:

Could those German cars being driven like mad on the Autobahns have something to do with this?

No because we are constantly reminded they are designed for that. 8)

Last edited:
LOL, look at Fiat and Jaguar.

I wonder if those 2 year / 20000 mile ocis are taking a toll there.

Running a Honda engine on Euro oil for that long is probably safer than a German turbo.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Could those German cars being driven like mad on the Autobahns have something to do with this? It's a thought.

Not in the UK...

As for the rest of your post I had a friend that sold VW's and now sells Porches. He did love the VW's but told me at the time some did come back with major problems more so than the Toyotas he sold. I've also met others with catastrophic engine failures, one guy stated that he knew that there was an internal tech bulletin on the timing chain and said he always used the appropriate 5W-40 full syn oil...

For similar major engine repairs are German cars more expensive to fix?

Someone here at the headquarters facility gave away a 10 year old Audi with 200K because the cost to repair a head gasket and replace the head along with some other associated service was more then the car was worth to him. He tried to sell the car but no one called.

He replaced the Audi with a top of the line 2017 Mazda 6 and so far is very happy with the change.

It would be interesting to see the full set of data. Reliability by brand means very little unless you are buying new with nothing to go on but past reputation.
Also this brings to mind the "Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability"
Quote:
For this reason, I have taken to measuring automotive reliability on a scale I've dubbed the "Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability," which rates cars based on how close they are to the original Audi Allroad in terms of potential for random four-figure maintenance bills. For example: the Lexus ES300 is pretty low on the Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability. Whereas a vehicle made entirely by chimpanzees provided with random car parts would be almost as bad as the Allroad. Maybe even worse if the chimpanzees are German.

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/german-reliability-the-greatest-myth-ever-sold-to-amer-1572026115

Depends if they define engine failure as a failed coil pack or a rod through the block.

BL and Renault have given me catastrophic engine failure in normal use where VW has only given me rod knock after an unintentional flat shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th.

Depends on the era of manufacture and previous maintenance more so than the marque on the grille.

In reference to the list, I'd add that my assumption would be that the majority of those brands that are also sold in the U.S. have a different source than North America. Different parts source, different assembly...who knows how much these vehicles would differ from a similar or exact model made in North America. So, Honda and Toyota having low engine failure figures is not a surprise but I wonder how much they differ based on several factors from cars built in North America. How much of an apples and oranges thing is involved versus comparable models from here if this UK report is trotted out as also being representative of something purchased here??

I think VWs are known as having considerably more niggling problems ( window regulators, coil packs, various electrical gremlins ) but if your VW is assembled in Turkey versus Germany...or Brazil versus the U.S., would these "failure" numbers have marked differences?? A gentleman I worked with only bought Volvos and the two he owned that were assembled in Belgium were considerably more problematic than the other five he's had that were built elsewhere. If the Belgian-built cars weren't available here and WERE actually more problem-prone and had higher engine failure rates, that doesn't really jibe with the failure rate of what I can purchase here vs. in the UK.

With Volvo's funny crankcase ventilation system, i surely thought they'd make one of the worst engines.

interesting....

I'm inclined to believe the data because it's real insurance claims for engine failures of one sort or another. There are several web sites dedicated to VW engine problems so it's no surprise to see them floundering in a reliability survey. Lexus and other Japanese makes always seem to be at the top which ever survey you read.

It's not that the Germans couldn't engineer a good reliable engine. Of course they could but not when they are forced into increased complexity and compromises in order to hit performance, mileage and emissions targets. It's things like direct injection and low friction single row timing chains that are causing them problems.

For example in the first 5 years/100k - engine? I would hope nothing ... then spark plugs - just PM.
Other in same period? I'm going to expect brake pads need PM - but not the master system ...

No surprise to me, I have owned three Volkswagens , a 79 Rabbit, minor problems sold at 145k, a 86 Golf, blown head gasket @90k that Seized motor, 2000 Passat GLX, Cam adjuster seals at 45k, VW covered half of repair, sold car at 76k after numerous repairs too long to list. CV boots on every one of my VWs failed by 80k, I became good at replacing boots. The Passat left a Bad taste in my mouth and I will never own another VW again or Audi either.

I strongly believe that most. Professional mechanics here in Denmark will recognize the picture from that survey. My personal experience with VAG cars are not too good either. A family member had a 2.0 TDI that got changed gearbox, turbo and cylinder head as well as numerous electrical errors before 100.000 km. A friend of mine got his timing Chaim changed 3 times in 70.000 km in a 1.4 Tsi. On the other hand I have also seen 1.8 turbo AGU engines passing 500.000 km.

But statistics can be used to picture whatever you wan't. when is something a failure?

Oh...and when talking about painting a picture. American " quality " is not to good either. number 4 and 5 on that low end list where both GM cars

Love personal anecdotes on car reliability. I've had lots of VWs ('66 Bug, '67 Bug, '70 Bug, '84 GLI, '88 Scirocco, '98 Wolfsburg, 2003 GLI, 2008 Rabbit) with hundreds of thousands of miles and never had what I'd call a major issue, or really even many minor issues.

These numbers seem nuts to me. I doubt Honda is losing a motor every 3xx motors. And I seriously doubt VW it losing one of every fifty or whatever it was. Maybe minor issues, but not major.

robert

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I'm thinking the lack there of. They want to be driven, not putz'd around town. I drive the bejebus out of mine and never had an issue. Not to say it won't happen, but it always runs better when driven hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back