Picking Oil, Filter for 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, first-time post here on BITOG, also a first-time car buyer! I picked up a used 2015 Hyundai Santa fe Sport, with the 2 liter Turbo, with 30,000 miles on it, about 2 months ago. When I was doing maintenance on all my family's cars I would usually grab top shelf Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra at Walmart without really putting any thought into what I was getting. Now that I'm a little more invested, I figured I would dig around online and make an informed decision. From the outside looking in, the world of oil testing and data is . . . well . . . confusing.

So, I need some help picking out an oil. I'd like to get a top shelf synthetic, along with a good filter, but not any exotic super oil like AMSOIL. I'd like to keep it under $30 for a 5 quart. So let's get to it, here's all the details:

My car: Santa fe, 2.0 GDI turbo. Manual says It can take 20w50 (down to 20F), 15w40 (down to 5F), 10w30 (down to 0F), 5w30 and 5w40 (down to stupid cold temps). The cap says 5w30. The manual also says it requires ACEA 5A/5B or better oil. The service interval is 3500 miles for severe, 5000 for regular driving (I've got to stick to that for now because it's still under warranty)

My drive: I park inside a heated garage on weekdays and commute 5 miles each way to school. On weekends I'll drive to my farm, 55 miles on the interstate, 5 miles on dirt/gravel. Overall I'll drive a bit less than 10,000 miles a year. Probably half city, half highway.

So! Decision time. What kind of oil should I use: Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 EP, another oil, or whatever the heck is on sale?
What filter should I use: Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Napa Gold? (For what it's worth, I can get the fram for $5 in bulk, Mobil for $8, don't know about Napa)

Some other questions I'd like to figure out: What the heck are these ACEA ratings? Why are none of the oils I look at ACEA 5A? Does ACEA matter? Would my driving be considered severe or regular? Any other car maintenance tips?

Last edited:
I'd use what's on sale. Fram Ultra's at $5 each for an annual OCI are hard to beat. You might end up doing 2 OCI's on that same filter. Best pricing out there right now is the Pennzoil Plat/Ultra's on sale at Walmart at $19.97/jug. A $10 on line PP rebate lowers that to $9.97. Mobil 1 had been on sale a couple times this year at $2.57/qt but not currently. I'd go with the PP/PU on sale that fits your cars needs. With a 5K OCI you should be fine with any of the oils you mentioned.

If you car's oil cap says 5w-30 that's what you're going to have to use for warranty. And they also might require a new oil filter each time. I don't know off hand if any of the PP/PU products meet your A5/B5 specs.

A5 not 5A lol. A5/B5 will be most 5W30 resource conserving oils IIRC.

Fram Ultra are good as I recall seeing only good reviews here for them.

Being DI and turbo, I'd almost chuck in some A3/B4 oil. Won't hurt it a bit. But DI and Turbo are a nice combo for thinning the oil out. A3/B4 5W30 is a thicker 30 grade. A5/B5 will often be nearer to 20 grade than 40 grade. Up to you really, can't go wrong with Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 EP IMO.

The PP and PUP 5w-30 are both listed as A5/B5 and very inexpensive right now. The 5w-30 Platinum Euro is a beefy 5w-30 grade quite a bit stronger than those other two (A3/B4)....and probably hard to find, and likely not on sale. Hard to beat a PUP $15 total oil change with Fram Ultra filter!

The Penzoil Plat Euro 5w-40 oil is A3/B4 with top mfg ratings. I got a dozen quarts of that last year for $2 each at the AutoZone Dec. clearance.

Use the OEM Hyundai filter. Well built and no issues with warranty and filter pressures. M1 and PP are fine choices at 5W-30. That turbo is a hard working engine so keep the OCI at 5000 miles, even past warranty. Also, for the $10, well worth it to change the filter every OCI.
Fwiw, the M1 filter is slightly smaller than the OEM Hyundai filter. The cap wrench I have for me Hyundai filter wouldn't fit the M1 filter.

Last edited:
In North America, unfortunately, A5/B5 oils aren't quite as common as most resource conserving oils. If you want true A5/B5 compliance, stick with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 for the time being. Castrol synthetic and M1 used to have it, but there's been some changes, with one claiming to be a bit behind in the biodiesel part of the B5 specification, and the other not saying much of anything.

If you want to follow A5/B5, it's going to be almost certainly a 5w-30, and the two options I listed are likely the most readily available for you with those ratings. This link has all the information you want, plus a lot more you likely don't want or would ever need. In there are the subtle bits of information as to why an A5/B5 lubricant will almost certainly be an ILSAC type 5w-30 viscosity, and not lower, nor higher.

First off -- :Welcome:

With DI and turbo, 2 changes per year is likely a good strategy, as your engine will be rough on oil. Recommendations above are solid, and an Ultra filter once per year should be good.

Also FWIW you mentioned no Amsoil....but then said 5 quarts for under $30. You can get Amsoil OE for around $5.40 a quart delivered to your door which would meet your price point.

Just head over to Wally World and pick whatever 5w30 syn that is on sale and a Fram Ultra. Good to go.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Just head over to Wally World and pick whatever 5w30 syn that is on sale and a Fram Ultra. Good to go.
best post right to the point and simple job done.

If it were me, and it isn't, I would use....
M1 0w40 and Hyundai filter, for the duration.
Top notch combo. Stock up when on sale.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Bud
best post right to the point and simple job done.

Keep in mind the Hyundai TSB on using the OEM filter.

Not defending the TSB, just pointing it out.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
First off -- :Welcome:

With DI and turbo, 2 changes per year is likely a good strategy, as your engine will be rough on oil. Recommendations above are solid, and an Ultra filter once per year should be good.

Also FWIW you mentioned no Amsoil....but then said 5 quarts for under $30. You can get Amsoil OE for around $5.40 a quart delivered to your door which would meet your price point.

How do folks like the AMSOIL OE? I looked at their signature series 5w30 and couldn't find it any cheaper than $10 a quart!

Great vehicle! Our 2013 2.0T only requires API-SM/ILSAC GF-4 and hasn't been changed to coincide with '15+ model years specs. We've used conventional, blends and synthetics. After 5 years (bought in late '12) it runs great. The only easily accessible A5/B5 5W30 I've seen is Pennzoil Platinum. I would visit Walmart and pic some up. Any quality filter will suffice at 5000 mile oci, i wouldn't over think it although the OEM Hyundai-Mann Hummel filters are stoutly constructed.

If you don't get below 0 degrees F. I would run a 10W30 synthetic (if approved for your engine) . Lowest NOACK and less VI which should play nicer with a DI turbo engine .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back