Disabling Honda VCM feature on V6 engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone thoughts on disabling the VCM on Honda engines? Pros and cons to doing this? I have a 2012 V6 Accord with 60,000 miles with VCM but have none of the common problems like oil burining, heasitation, misfires, stuck rings, sludge issues etc. I hear if you disable the VCM it is better for your car and can prevent these issues from happening in the future.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Lots of issues on the v6 Hondas check out the class action lawsuits.

Issues from disabling the VCM?

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
VCM Muzzler.

+1 Couldn't imagine driving my Pilot without it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

No issues with the engines themselves.

Mine has been flawless. No oil burning and very impressive mileage on highway. 2007 Odyssey EXL with 213,000km, so about 132k miles...I am not babying the odyssey either. Lots of short trips to school, arenas, soccer field, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No issues with the engines themselves.

VCM related problems above and beyond the above mentioned ones or other non VCM problems? If so, what are they? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
VCM Muzzler.

+1. Beyond easy to install and remove. I generally put it in for long trips where highway mpgs will be good regardless, and I don't like a lot of switching in and out under relatively high cruise power (60+ hp).

When were mostly around town I leave it in. If it switches in and out cruising at 25-30 mph, the torques are much lower.

VCM does make a big difference in around town use, like 5+ mpg, and we rarely encounter traffic in our driving. So it does work for some things... And we can go full tanks with no interstate, just doing chores and going places.

not true Honda has issues with their engines also Just look around online at the class action Lawsuits.. Honda and Toyota are not like they were in the 80's

Originally Posted By: Trav
Really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VCMuzzler-II-for-Disabling-VCM-on-Honda-and-Acura-Vehicles/172249356977

What are your thoughts on this Trav?

IMHO there is nothing better you can do for these engines. It allows the engine to run the way it was meant to not just barely good enough to save a little fuel at the expense of sludge, failed very expensive engine mounts vibrations and strained components.
I have been disabling the system since 2008 on these and the engines have been great, no sludge or blown $500+ engine mounts, no vibrations or jerking just nice smooth power delivery.

not true Honda has issues with their engines also Just look around online at the class action Lawsuits.. Honda and Toyota are not like they were in the 80's

I agree, having sold plenty of Honda products I saw a lot come back with engine and transmission problems.

...Honda and Toyota are not like they were in the 80's

No one is, lots better and lots worse. No one across the board all better or worse. Honda and toyota have greatly improved on a number of things (body rust, fit&finish, comfort, style, overall vehicle appearance, etc, etc.) and IMHO not lost that much quality on engines and tranny.

UPDATE:

After really trying to nail this down and figure out how to get this to act up, I have noticed it sometime comes and goes with the VCM going in and out of ECO mode. I got a VCM Muzzler yesterday and installed it and the vibration described in my original post is now gone! I'm thinking it was something with the VCM causing it now. I was not always doing this and only recently started this vibration.
So now it appears to be directly related to the VCM since the VCM muzzler made it go away. Can now seem to run better overall with nicer throttle response. SO far I like this VCM muzzler!

What might be causing the vibration related to the VCM system? I still need to fix this issue even though the VCMuzzler "fixed" it. Many thanks!!

I am still thinking an engine mount is weak or possibly a spool valve getting clogged or sticking, my money is on a bad rear mount, 1 min driving it and I could tell you mount or not after changing more of them than I care to remember.
Oil to the spool valve can also be restricted at the oil filter mounting pad, most of the time it will throw a P300 with CEL and VSA light also lit but not always. Hey if its running good and smooth leave it in peace and forget the thing even had VCM.

Varnished spool valve.

Deposits in filter mount and block.

Clogged filter screen against new one.

Cleaned parts ready to be reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back