Is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchase a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4.0 v-6, 130000 miles. all the info. on the truck is that it has all ways had conventional oil., is it safe to switch to synthetic oil.

I switched my Camry to synthetic at 205,000 miles. No leaks.

I switched the Jeep to synthetic Mobil 1 HM and it stopped the leaks.

OT: make sure you research the issue with defective radiators and their leaking coolant into the transmission cooler. My coworkers brother's transmission was ruined by such a leak, and my coworker who also has one promptly swapped out the factory radiator with a new one.

Last edited:
I got the Xterra whith 90k on it and switched to sythetic lubes wherever I could. Spark plugs are a pain to change. Worth it yes. Was getting 17 at best for milage. Now 20 or so. New radaitors are about $120 or so and not a very hard project and worth the peace of mind.
Was a CL ad for a 06 Xterra with only 360k with original engine and tranny. So if taken care of the platform seems tobe able to go a long ways. Good luck on the new to you Nissan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: make sure you research the issue with defective radiators and their leaking coolant into the transmission cooler. My coworkers brother's transmission was ruined by such a leak, and my coworker who also has one promptly swapped out the factory radiator with a new one.

This is WAY more important than oil type. Keep running conventional oil as your climate doesnt care. Add an auxiliary transmission cooler to avoid that catastrophe.

I would recommend a good simi synthetic like Castrol GTX Magnatec I find that the "Cling" factor of the oil seems to keep the timing chain on mine quieter on start up.

Yes the two main things to watch for is the radiator if it was never replaced get a new one right away. Also the timing chain on the early VQ40DE V6 is an issue if it sounds like it has a supercharger it's the timing chain that has cut threw the chain guides.

Had the radiator fail in my X. Check yours soon. I had read about the SMOD
(Strawberry milkshake of death) the ATF gets contaminated with antifreeze. Turns out the Nissan Matic tranny fluid was eating the solder on the coolant lines as it ran through the radiator. Luckily I was able to save mine. Been around 12k w no issues. Swapped out the radiator did a poor mans flush and filled with castrol HM atf. Good luck. Just switched my X to syn oil for the first time last week. So far so good

Another thing to look for in the 06's is the timing chain guides fail pretty much on most of them. It will start sounding like you got a supercharger under there. I had an 07 that started doing that; it was out of warranty so I dumped it. Although with 130K it has either been done, or you're one of the few with 05-08's that don't have the problem. If you do some reading around here, alot of guys like using an Xw40 in those motors. Switch to whatever you like, I went full syn on the Expedition after 150K and have had no problems.

And there is Rotella T6 5W-40 which is synthetic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Robbie
I just recently purchase a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4.0 v-6, 130000 miles. all the info. on the truck is that it has all ways had conventional oil., is it safe to switch to synthetic oil.

Yup! perfectly safe, no matter the marketing, its all just oil. Nothing more, nothing less. Your statement is the proof.
You bought a great running truck with 130000 miles on it using conventional oil. There is no magical formula to overcome physical wear using oil with the same API ratings, no matter how its marketed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back