Oil burning Crown Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. So my 03 Crown Victoria is about to hit 180k miles and now is burning enough oil to see blue smoke if you Rev it up after it has been idling for a few minutes. I suspect valve guides. I'm done with dumping any more money into this car. My last oil change I used Castrol Magnatec. I'm gonna have to switch to some sort of HM oil or maybe a thicker grade than 5w20. What's everyone's opinion on either using Castrol Edge 0w40, Pennzoil HM 5w20,5w30 or use a 15w40 Rotella T4 or Delo 5w40? It's an ex cop car so it's pretty thrashed. Thoughts?

MaxLife 10w-40. Viscosity is fine for your modular (Ford was OK with 10w-40 in the 3-valve 4.6/5.4 down to -20°F).

I'd use a conventional 15W-40 and see what happens. I would not bother with synthetic. And if you're smoking in California you're going to get busted sooner or later and have to fix it or give it up.

Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 it's blended on the lower side of the 5w30 spectrum but it seems to work very well in the vehicles i have used it in.Also a fantastic winter oil in my book.

Originally Posted By: 6lbsoft
Hello all. So my 03 Crown Victoria is about to hit 180k miles and now is burning enough oil to see blue smoke if you Rev it up after it has been idling for a few minutes. I suspect valve guides. I'm done with dumping any more money into this car. My last oil change I used Castrol Magnatec. I'm gonna have to switch to some sort of HM oil or maybe a thicker grade than 5w20. What's everyone's opinion on either using Castrol Edge 0w40, Pennzoil HM 5w20,5w30 or use a 15w40 Rotella T4 or Delo 5w40? It's an ex cop car so it's pretty thrashed. Thoughts?

Just noticed your name. Ellis fan?

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I'd use a conventional 15W-40 and see what happens. I would not bother with synthetic.

+1
In Southern California, no need for 0w or 5w.

No sense in buying expensive oil for an oil burner. You need a cheap high viscosity oil. Don't even think about going thinner than High Mileage 10W-40 (which means regular 10W-40 is too thin).

Those 4.6L engines were originally designed for 5w-30 in the early 1990's....then back specced to 5w-20 in 2000. Going to a 30 grade would likely improve your usage. That's a simple step. I made that same switch about a year ago and saw my consumption drop dramatically. If I were in your shoes in SoCal I'd probably go with a 10w-30. Pennz Plat from WM with rebates currently available at $9.99/jug.

Go up a weight. A product like Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver might buy you some time.I'd steer clear of Delo/Rotella.Using them in a oil burning might make your catalytic converter foul up soon.

New PCV and a high mileage oil from Pennzoil, Valvoline. After that, if no improvement coupled with the lack of will to spend any more on it, either live with it or get a different ride. Case closed.

+ 1 for 10W40. Or the absolute cheapest 15W40 mineral oil. See what happens. Let us know too. We always get these threads with such little after action reports!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd try HM 5W-30 or 10W-30 first. How much are you actually burning?

About a quart every 2k miles, but now I have noticed a substantial amount of blue smoke when I rev up the engine.

Originally Posted By: KL31
+ 1 for 10W40. Or the absolute cheapest 15W40 mineral oil. See what happens. Let us know too. We always get these threads with such little after action reports!

Well i'm gonna head to Wal-Mart tomorrow morning. Right now they have Chevron conventional at $11.99 for 5 quart jugs. If they have a 10w40 i'll get that. Otherwise that maybe Pennzoil HM 10w40. I do remember years ago when a buddy of mine and I were doing the maintenance on a fleet of 97-99 F150's with 4.6's and 5.4's we used nothing but Castrol 20w50 and they ran fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back