Lube in Jet Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love this 707 pre turbo fan picture, just awesome.

Speaking of black smoke, it amazes me that any smoke can exist at the temperatures encountered in the older engine I have the most experience with, the Allison T56-14A turbo prop. We were limited to 1010C Max continuous, 1049C Max intermittent for 30 min, and 1077C for Military power ( 5 min ). The engine smoked just as much at those temps as at idle power. Always amazed me the temperatures that these engines operate at. Especially with how fast parts are spinning at that temperature, creep is an amazing thing to try and wrap ones head around!

Quote:
We were limited to 1010C Max continuous, 1049C Max intermittent for 30 min, and 1077C for Military power ( 5 min ).

Are you referring to EGT?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
We were limited to 1010C Max continuous, 1049C Max intermittent for 30 min, and 1077C for Military power ( 5 min ).

Are you referring to EGT?

That's TIT. I worked on the older T56-A-7 on the C-130E and max TIT was 971C. Interestingly they didn't smoke but the newer -15 do smoke.

The most updated J-79 for the F-4 had a "no smoke" kit upgrade installed. I don't know what parts were changed.

On the T56-14A turbine temperature is measured after the burner cans just before the power turbine and is indicated as TIT (turbine inlet temperature) the display is an average of the 21 thermocouples positioned about 2" before the hot section turbine blades. No measurement is taken in the exhaust section past the turbine.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

I love this 707 pre turbo fan picture, just awesome.

Speaking of black smoke, it amazes me that any smoke can exist at the temperatures encountered in the older engine I have the most experience with, the Allison T56-14A turbo prop. We were limited to 1010C Max continuous, 1049C Max intermittent for 30 min, and 1077C for Military power ( 5 min ). The engine smoked just as much at those temps as at idle power. Always amazed me the temperatures that these engines operate at. Especially with how fast parts are spinning at that temperature, creep is an amazing thing to try and wrap ones head around!
Those planes were nice to ride in and a fast cruise speed well.

I was a Crew Chief on both the B52 and KC135 from 1970 to 1974. Water injection was a kick in the butt when the pilot hit the injection switch! The B52's were a pain to remove the cowling from the engines, oil everywhere. Bad leakers there.

Last edited:
Still a great airplane after all these years. Lots of them on the ramp at Offutt.Aviation school old time instructor left over from WW II used to tell us don't get on it if it doesn't have Boeing on the fuselage and P&W on the engines.

Not Boeing ain't going getting harder to live by ... (although I find the A380's I flown another seat in the sky at this stage) ...
Too darn many passports at once too ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back