Saw a Yugo Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've seen a Yugo in probably 25 years. It actually looked in very good shape. It was going the other way on a residential street, and I was stunned to see the little Y on the hood, and turned my head after it passed (I wasn't driving) and sure enough that's what it was. Appeared to have no rust, in Central PA, where everything rusts. I had a neighbor who bought one new and it was total junk. I hope to come across this car and it's owner sometime, I'd love this know the vehicle history. Very few cars are still running after 30 years, and I bet only a handful of Yugo's are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he "just got it running" after 30 years.

There are two geo metro convertibles that often drive in tandem around my area; always brings a smile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

There are two geo metro convertibles that often drive in tandem around my area; always brings a smile.

A Geo Metro was far far more reliable than a Yugo....I've seen several with very high miles.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Somebody has to post the dragnet quote! I can't get it to copy on my phone.

This one?

"After losing the two previous vehicles we had been issued, the only car the department was willing to release to us at this point was an unmarked 1987 Yugo, a Yugoslavian import donated to the department as a test vehicle by the government of that country and reflecting the cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian technology."

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

A Geo Metro was far far more reliable than a Yugo....I've seen several with very high miles.

Yes I still see Metro's with some regularity. My brother has a Ford truck from the 80's, but Yugo's were dying regularly in a couple of years. I wonder what book value is on a 30 year old Yugo. Either zero or it has some value ad a collector car. Why you would want to collect one I have no idea.

There's someone on this BBS who's a fan of the yugo and calls it by its fiat name.

I remember test driving one when they first came out. A POS was an understatement. Dangerous, death trap, garbage, [censored], etc. you name it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I remember test driving one when they first came out. A POS was an understatement. Dangerous, death trap, garbage, [censored], etc. you name it.

With all the regulations, how could something so dangerous be sold? Maybe regulations have changed since then?

Haven't seen a Yugo in California though so it makes me wonder.

My friend bought a Yugo new. He said it was a great car (he was a cheap guy) but it rusted in just a couple years. I bought two new Geo Metros which both rusted to death after over 10 years and 185K miles. They were still running beautifully when they went to the bone yard. One of them got 51mpg highway.

Careful what you say now, the owner of SynLube Miro Kefurt loves the Yugo.
48.gif

http://www.synlube.com/Miro-NV1.html

http://www.synlube.com/Yugo.html

Seems I remember the Yugo and Hyundai Accent came to the US around the same time. One company turned out ok, one not so much.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

"After losing the two previous vehicles we had been issued, the only car the department was willing to release to us at this point was an unmarked 1987 Yugo, a Yugoslavian import donated to the department as a test vehicle by the government of that country and reflecting the cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian technology."

Zastava factory is in Serbia...and technology came from abandoned Fiat models... Ok some things were domestic built (on YU scale)

Serbo-Croatian was only official language of ex Yugoslavia
smile.gif

I wonder how hard it would be to find parts for a 30 year old car from a manufacturer who has been gone from the US for so long. I really was stunned how good the car looked. It looked good for a 3 year old car, let alone a 30 year old one. Of course I only saw it for a few seconds. Either it was garaged for its whole life or it had fresh paint or both. Who would sink money into a Yugo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back