Grinder and Bench Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to purchase a good solid bench grinder and hand held grinder tomorrow.
Any advice on a good manufacture and model for both is greatly appreciated.

Warranty is also important

Metabo, Dewalt, Craftsman

Does craftsman have a lifetime warranty on their grinders?

Nope, Craftsman grinders don't have a lifetime warranty.

You can do some reading on Garage Journal about it. I recently went with a cheap Kawasaki because I wanted rat-tail style and adjustable speed.

Otherwise, my choice for a hand held would probably be the Makita with the paddle switch. I personally like their paddle switch design the best.

Ridgid ones from Home Depot probably have the lifetime service agreement, but double check to see if I'm correct. If they do, be aware that there are hoops you have to jump through to activate it and make sure they actually follow through with that activation.

They don't just give you the lifetime service agreement when you buy it, you have to be diligent to make sure they don't act like they "lost" your info.

Get one with 8" wheels. The one we use in the UPS truck shop has 8" wheels and my cheap one I use at home has 6" wheels. I much prefer larger wheels.

I have a cheap 6" Durex Industrial bench grinder that has been great for 25 years.
One side has a grind stone, the other a wire wheel.

For an angle grinder I would spend a bit more money OR buy two! It's nice to have one with a cutting wheel and one with a brush. It saves constantly changing wheels.

My last (and the one I still use) bench grinder is the cheapest one I could find that I bought from one of those off brand tool sale trucks that sometimes park in a mall parking lot. It is a 1 hp. 8 inch that I think I paid about $49 for about 20 years ago, and I use it a LOT.

Originally Posted By: old1
My last (and the one I still use) bench grinder is the cheapest one I could find that I bought from one of those off brand tool sale trucks that sometimes park in a mall parking lot. It is a 1 hp. 8 inch that I think I paid about $49 for about 20 years ago, and I use it a LOT.

WOW

Last edited:
Most if not all of the new grinders from HD, Sears, etc are just cheap Chicom rubbish inc Metabo. Look for a good used Baldor, Wissota, Dayton or Milwaukee (old black) bench grinder. I have an old Baldor and Milwaukee, both take about 2 min to run down after turning them off (nice bearings) and have zero armature wobble.
The big plus with these old ones are the heavy cast iron tool rest and properly machined wheel flanges, great motors and bearings, you don't need a warranty with these bad boys they will outlive your father, you and your kids.

For small hand angle grinders I don't get crazy and buy Flex (the best) I try and stay under $100 so Makita, Dewalt do the job just fine, use them up then chuck them in the bin and buy another.

I have a Ryobi small bench grinder, use it mainly to sharpen lawn mower blades, works good for what i need it.
I also have a 4.5" dewalt angle grinder, Have only used it a handful of times, i bought it just to have it. If im able to use the sawzall I would use it over the angle grinder because i don't have the full face mask for it. I have heard of grinder disks shattering often and that's scary.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I have a Ryobi small bench grinder, use it mainly to sharpen lawn mower blades, works good for what i need it.
I also have a 4.5" dewalt angle grinder, Have only used it a handful of times, i bought it just to have it. If im able to use the sawzall I would use it over the angle grinder because i don't have the full face mask for it. I have heard of grinder disks shattering often and that's scary.

Bought the Milwaukee M18 FUEL 9.0Ah Starter Kit that came with the Sawzall (2720-20), the 9.0Ah battery and M18/M12 charger (No case)
The huge battery also works with my old drill.

The kit, which included everything above, was on sale for $249.00 at HD.
I opened a store credit account and they took $30.00 off the total plus gave me a 25.00 dollar off coupon on my next purchase (no expiration).

I had been looking for a sawzall for awhile.

I did purchase the 35.00 hassle free 2 year warranty but essentially got it for $5.00 when you deduct the $30.00 dollars that they took off my total.

I was not able to find a good deal on a bench or angle grinder.

That $25.00 dollar coupon will be used when a good deal on a grinder comes up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back