Hit By Governer's Level II Drought Declaration !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's for a good cause as Georgia is in a severe drought with the forest fires and all - but as part of level II drought water restrictions initiated by the Governor - no personal washing of cars at home anymore !! Only commercial car washes are allowed . *I hate commercial drive through car washes as I have had damage to two cars now caused by them . I suppose my only course of action is to find a commercial car wash that hand washes ? Maybe I could supply them the bucket , Meguiars Gold Class car soap , sponge and micro fiber towels . As long as they get paid (commercial enterprise) it's ok - I just can't do it myself at home (non commercial enterprise) ... Thoughts ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Wash your car early in the morning when people are still sleeping.

Not sure but I think he meant, "thoughts other than ignoring an emergency declaration intended to protect a depleted resource that everyone must share" but that's just me.

Look into a waterless wash like ONR.

Worse comes to worst, pre-spray the dirt at a DIY drive-in wash, unless theyve closed them down...

Go to a "do-it-yourself" car wash.

In California we're suspicious of new water conservation rules and restrictions. Although we all agree that they are needed and most of us gladly comply the one guaranteed result is increased per unit rates.

Oh no,, I washed two cars this week - the most I've washed all year. I didn't know we were under this restriction. I knew there was a burn ban in place but I hadn't heard about the car washing thing.

Find a self wash and take all your own supplies.

If you go to Home Depot they have those large orange buckets with lids so you could even take your own water.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Worse comes to worst, pre-spray the dirt at a DIY drive-in wash, unless theyve closed them down...

ONR works great as a rinseless wash, not a big fan of it as a waterless. Good stuff (although I think there "were" better ones out there ex. D114 which Megs discontinued)

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

ONR works great as a rinseless wash, not a big fan of it as a waterless. Good stuff (although I think there "were" better ones out there ex. D114 which Megs discontinued)

If you have a garage, a no-rinse wash is just the ticket. I like to use the "Garry Dean" method, which is easier to YouTube than explain. Make sure you get about 30 microfiber towels. Get them at Wal Mart or Sam's not the detailing places for economy's sake.

I like it so well that I'll go down to the coin op and hose off the car if it's really dirty then drive home and do rinseless. The coin op is also your opportunity to get after the wheels.

I'd just save your bottled water empties, fill them inside your house and use that. You have neighbors anal enough to rat you out?

Waterless car soaps only work on clean cars, so whats the point?

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Wash your car early in the morning when people are still sleeping.

Not sure but I think he meant, "thoughts other than ignoring an emergency declaration intended to protect a depleted resource that everyone must share" but that's just me.

What about all the people with pools? What about people taking 20 minute showers? How do you police all that?

Not being able to wash a car is ridiculous. I doubt it takes 3 gallons to wash a car.

I was Meg's "Ultimate wash and wax anywhere". It's a spray to use for washing and leaves a "wax" (synthetic sealant) behind. I have so far been pleasantly surprised with this product. There is another thread on here where someone else praises the product as well.

The "wash" part works fine, although I would not use it on a super-dirty vehicle. The "wax" part is very good but the appearance is not as good as my 1st choice product (Meg's Ultimate Wax) and I strongly suspect does not last nearly as long as a dedicated wax or sealant. Everything lasts forever here in San Diego so I cannot say how long this sealant actually stays in the rest of the world.

I'd double check the specifics of the car washing ban. In California it basically stated something along the lines of "no washing personal vehicles at home WITHOUT a shut off nozzle attached to the end of the hose". So as long as you didn't leave the hose free flowing the whole time you were fine.

Wash it anyways. As said above, it only takes a couple gallons of water to wash a car if you have a hose nozzle.

I guarantee a car wash uses more water than I do at home.

And who is going to catch you? You Nazi neighbors? Yeah right.

OP here : Under Georgia drought restrictions - it's a little vague . On one hand it states "hand watering with a automatic shut off nozzle" is allowed . On the other hand it states : "non-commercial vehicle washing including fundraising car washes,and non-commercial pressure washing" is prohibited" ... Which camp am I in wanting only to wash his car at home with an auto shut off spray nozzle ?

I've used this since 2004 and have recommended it here many times. Other members here have used it and realized it does what it says. It is not intended for a muddy really dirty car.

http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/

This is my car. I used about 20% more product due to the amount of dirt:

A few years ago water rationing reached a level at which at home car washing was prohibited. I used plain old detailing spray (Meguiar's , Mother's). No special, expensive product required. Use that and a couple of microfiber rags. Use a separate rag for the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back