Batteries come charged now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a battery the other day, says 10/16 on it, so I presume it's been sitting for a month. Sitting on my basement floor, so 55F or so. Reads 12.72V. I checked it as I figured I'd put on a charger and run a few amps into it before installing in a few hours; but it seems fully charged. Wasn't expecting a full charge. Don't replace batteries that often, but I recall when they used to come dead.

Still going to toss on a charger for a couple hours, then take for a short spin (half hour or so).

I remember when it was normal that they shipped dry, I don't remember any that were shipped dead though the dry ones were "dry charged" and had a good charge ones you added the electrolyte.

I replaced two vehicle batteries this fall. Both were fully charged when purchased and only a month or so old.

Motorcycle batteries only have the surface charge.

You could try topping off the car battery but I don't think you'll get very far.

Flooded lead acid batteries always come partially charged. They degrade quickly when less than 20% charged.

The stickers indicate the month the battery was last charged. That may not be the same as the assembly/fill date.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You could try topping off the car battery but I don't think you'll get very far.

Uh?

Plugged in a Sears 2A charger, it claims to be charging. Should have plugged in last night, but didn't want to leave it unattended. Sitting at 14.66V right now while I'm cleaning the old battery terminals (both leaked).

Old battery reads 12.66V, but it's 30F.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Uh?

In the USA, motorcycle batteries are the only type still commonly shipped "dry charged". This offers a longer shelf life and easier shipping by common carrier, since a sealed container of acid in a box won't spill like a full battery would.

The buyer or the store puts the acid in just prior to use. In this state the battery has enough power for one start, but it really needs to be charged to be full.

Car batteries are handled completely differently, they are filled at the factory and usually charged by someone before sale.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My recent batteries came charged to some level but, I always them put on a trickle or low charge to bring them to 100% before using. Ed

This is what I do if time permits.

I also make sure to look over the shelf for newest one.

Originally Posted By: supton
Don't replace batteries that often, but I recall when they used to come dead.

Still going to toss on a charger for a couple hours, then take for a short spin (half hour or so).

Its pretty sad if batteries youve bought have come dead.

Unless you buy them DRY, they should be kept fully charged. The chemistry realities havent changed Time spent below 100% state of charge causes sulfation and lost capacity. Nothing new there in the last 100 years or so...

IMO its always prudent to top it up before installation. Alternators dont fully charge either... This is precisely why people look for recent date code batteries... Without a circuit attached, and on a good quality brand new battery, in reasonably cool storage, the self-discharge should be reasonably small...

Well, I bought a car battery in 2009 and put it into the car; it started right up (bought at a dealer). Time before that was probably 1998; got from Walmart and I'm pretty sure it needed a jump. The one prior to that would have been around 1993? way too long to remember if it started right up or not.

Think I put a battery in someone else's car around 2001. Otherwise that's the extent of my battery buying experience. Most of my vehicles haven't been kept long enough that I'd be versed in car battery buying.

LOL at all the misinformation!

I worked at AZ for a year. Batteries come charged right off the pallet. All we did was put them on the shelf and didn't touch them unless they were inventoried or sold. Of course a new battery is charged. When someone needs a new battery, 95% of time they don't have time to wait. They need it to work right then.

Also, the date code is when the battery was shipped to the store.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Uh?

In the USA, motorcycle batteries are the only type still commonly shipped "dry charged". This offers a longer shelf life and easier shipping by common carrier, since a sealed container of acid in a box won't spill like a full battery would.

The buyer or the store puts the acid in just prior to use. In this state the battery has enough power for one start, but it really needs to be charged to be full.

Car batteries are handled completely differently, they are filled at the factory and usually charged by someone before sale.
Where I use to work we made dry charged industrial batteries. Interesting process.

Lead-acid batteries should be stored either dry or fully charged.
I like buying batteries in stores where I can access them on the shelf (like Wallmart).
I come in with a voltmeter and measure several candidates.
Then I buy the one with the highest voltage and newest date.

I see the batteries at Walmart on the back of the racks are sometimes two years old. The staff are not even smart enough to rotate the stock. I would never buy a battery from a chain store. With Walmart they are also JCI, and they are real junk

I buy from my local battery wholesale shop. (east Penn and Crown) They often get in "Blems" which may have a scratch on the case or a mark on a post. These batteries test 100% as firsts but cost about 40% less. Chain stores dont offer Blems. They fully charge each battery before it goes out. I also like the fact of supporting an independent owner/operator and not a large mega Corporation

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
LOL at all the misinformation!

I worked at AZ for a year. Batteries come charged right off the pallet. All we did was put them on the shelf and didn't touch them unless they were inventoried or sold. Of course a new battery is charged. When someone needs a new battery, 95% of time they don't have time to wait. They need it to work right then.

Also, the date code is when the battery was shipped to the store.

Yup both when I worked at a Sears Auto Center and at the dealer the batteries come fully charged. The Ford ones come through one of our Motorcraft FADs and the Mazda batteries are delivered by Interstate. The only somewhat "weird" battery is the Optima in the 05-06 Ford GT. We order those direct from Ford and they are shipped to us. Those are always fun sales.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I also like the fact of supporting an independent owner/operator and not a large mega Corporation

So you go to Walmart soley to inspect their stock of batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back