Head gasket in a bottle help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck that I deliver trusses with has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Need to try to get another month out of it! Any recommendations other than spending $5k on it?

dissolve some Bars Leak in hot water, then pour into the rad. Don't expect as much heat from the heater...these things often get plugged up from stop leak products.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What's the truck/engine in question?
93 international with a 3176 clatter pillar. They were known for gasket issues.it's not the first time for it either...since it's banned in California it has to be replaced soon with a newer truck but they want to run it till the tags expire next year

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
dissolve some Bars Leak in hot water, then pour into the rad. Don't expect as much heat from the heater...these things often get plugged up from stop leak products.
heater leaks anyway. The stop leak may help if it does not plug it up completely!

My uncle had good luck with liquid glass for a cracked head on an old Mazda B series that he ended up using as a shop truck.

My local Walmarts have K&W 'Block Repair' w/ Nanotechnology on CLEARANCE now. These usually sell for $20 and $35 but are now $5 and $9.....they come in bright lime green bottles.

I'd give one a shot if you find them at that price

Originally Posted By: Chris142
93 international with a 3176 clatter pillar.

http://barsleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/HG-1-Tech-Sheet2.pdf

It's relatively expensive ($45 at O'Reilly/AutoZone), and you have to use 1 bottle/5 gallons coolant. It's your best choice; do not use any other Bar's Leak product in this situation!

+1 Typically the only thing I would ever ever recommend would be the bar's leaks tabs that as a previous post mentioned dissolving in a hot water, this sounds like a more serious issue. If you are getting rid of the vehicle and need a strong band aid than this stuff above will do the trick.

Bars has a head gasket repair in a bottle. It got me two more months out of leaky head gasket on the notorious Ford 3.8 before it blew for good and hydro-locked. Got nothing to lose by trying.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My local Walmarts have K&W 'Block Repair' w/ Nanotechnology on CLEARANCE now. These usually sell for $20 and $35 but are now $5 and $9.....they come in bright lime green bottles.

I'd give one a shot if you find them at that price

This.

Something cheap. If it doesnt work youre not out much. Id buy multiple bottles for a truck.

Get the one thats antifreeze compatible. Its too much effort to flush.

If its a no go, theres nothing that says you cant just keep adding coolant. If youre in a warm area, just feed it water.

Please report back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Bars has a head gasket repair in a bottle. It got me two more months out of leaky head gasket on the notorious Ford 3.8 before it blew for good and hydro-locked. Got nothing to lose by trying.
put 3 bottles in it today. We shall see how it does.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

If its a no go, theres nothing that says you cant just keep adding coolant. If youre in a warm area, just feed it water.

Please report back.
I have to drain it every night because it fills up a cylinder over night and won't start in the morning.

93 international with a 3176 clatter pillar. They were known for gasket issues.it's not the first time for it either...since it's banned in California it has to be replaced soon with a newer truck but they want to run it till the tags expire next year

Let me see if I understand this.

Your company wants you to keep a possible ticking time bomb running so they don't lose the money on turning in the tags a month early, but was OK with you buying stuff to put into said time bomb that likely cost more than whatever their loss would be by turning in the tags early.

Am I missing something here?

Originally Posted By: Subdued

Let me see if I understand this.

Your company wants you to keep a possible ticking time bomb running so they don't lose the money on turning in the tags a month early, but was OK with you buying stuff to put into said time bomb that likely cost more than whatever their loss would be by turning in the tags early.

Am I missing something here?
no that's about it. Typical business stuff I don't understand. Tags are $3600/year.

I suspect they will let it go until it blows up regardless of registration.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Please report back.
I have to drain it every night because it fills up a cylinder over night and won't start in the morning.

Removing a spark plug may be easier.

Have you tried any gunk yet?

Originally Posted By: cb_13
My uncle had good luck with liquid glass for a cracked head on an old Mazda B series that he ended up using as a shop truck.

I was about to say that - CRC's Block Seal and many others like it are mostly sodium silicate. Not too many drug stores carry it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back