Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out there that deals with heavy oil consumption ever change to a different brand and have better results? Thanks in advance.

Aint gonna change that much. Sounds like maybe the rings or valve guides are eating it.What brand are you using?What weight does the manual suggest?How many miles are on it?
I'm gonna go on a limb and say check for clogged pvc valve.Get a bottle of Gumout Multi-tune and add the 1 ounce per qt to oil crankcase, drive to fuel station and add rest to fuel tank.Check oil level,monitor your driving practices and check it in a few days or if oil light comes on too. Another product to try is Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver LM2020. I never had a oil consumption issue,but a seep in rear main and it fixed it. Check that your consumption is the issue not a leak. Try a high mileage oil too like Quaker State Defy/HM. Without anymore info I dont know what else and good luck.

I am now using Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 in my sons V-tech civic and it seems to be doing a great job.. I also like it because it is a synthetic blend and its not a thick 5w30 like some of the others but it seems to work better.

Last edited:
What engine, how many miles run and how do you use it?
All of this matters.
Knowing none of this, I'd try Maxlife SB or M1 HM.
Both have proven to reduce consumption and leaks in the engines I've used them in.

Not so much brand, but formulation. My T&C van was using a quart every thousand miles like clockwork. A known issue. Switching to a high mileage oil consumption dropped to a quart every 2k miles my

Careful what you wish for - 0w16 might come true ...
How to be positive about that : on a per ounce basis, it will be cheaper than the equivalent 3 in 1 oil.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
wished Honda would quit the stupid 0/20 spec and avoid this whole mess.

Are you going to post the same dumb [censored] in every thread?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
wished Honda would quit the stupid 0/20 spec and avoid this whole mess.
I think you are right!

I was getting 1-1/2 qt consumption every 4K miles in my 4.6L on 5w-20 synthetic (Forumula Shell in my case). Switched to conventional VWB and it dropped down under 1/2 qt. Then I tried 5w-30 PP and the consumption has been even less. Note that the car calls for 5w-20 but was originally designed for 5w-30. No other maintenance like PVC could have explained this. It was just changes in oils/brands over an 18 month period.

What oil are you using at present and have you made sure the crank case breather system is OK ??

If the high oil consumption is not caused by leaks and you don't wish to spend money replacing oil seals or rings, then try switching to a high mileage oil, or if the consumption is real high, try a major brand stop leak additive like Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver. If you are using an Xw20, consider moving up a grade to an Xw30.

If the issue is caused by the rings, using a different oil will not help much, but if it's caused by the valve guide oil seals then using an HM oil or stop leak and moving up a grade should help.

Last edited:
I had an old Dodge which used 1 quart of cheap 5w-30 every 500 miles, changed to same cheap brand of 10w-30 and consumption improved to 700 miles per quart. Don't expect miracles.

love it when you use watered down 0/20 then switch to a 5/30 once your blowing oil out the tail pipe, seams pretty obvious the heavier oil should be in from the start.

Good call. The PP and PU 5w-30's are about the thinnest oils in that grade and closest to a 5w-20.

Personally I haven't had much luck reducing oil consumption by changing brands, I've even tried going up a weight, made no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back