Check those battery terminals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the cooler temps, I noticed the Pilot taking a little extra time cranking over in the morning. Popped the hood and saw green fuzz on the positive battery terminal. Cleaned everything up with a baking soda + water mixture, put a dab of dielectric grease on the tightened connections and now she fires up instantly.

Check your batteries, folks!

I'd put some battery savers(felt washers) on there as well otherwise the fuzz will be back soon. WM has for them for $4.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I only buy agm batteries. They do not corrode the terminals under normal circumstances

Don't overtighten the terminals and you won't get the green fuzz even on regular batteries.

Everybody overtightens those terminals.

If your battery is more than three or four years old consider replacing it as a precaution. Today's car batteries are more like capacitors, designed to give a good starting kick but not so hot on slow, long term discharge. When they die they often do it without much warning, starting the car to get you somewhere and then DOA when you return to the car to leave. It's a contradiction, since cars today have electronics which need to be fed 24/7, .. and it's not just the radio presets. Just had an 8 year old OEM Toyota battery quit. The 08 Camry has only about 35 K on it, went out to dinner, parked the car and it wouldn't start when we sought to leave. AAA jumped it, and it ran on the alternator all the way home. In the driveway once home the battery was so dead it couldn't even bump the main relay. A new 24F and it lights off in a flash.

Last edited:
My experience with batteries seems that one have to use them or lose them. Most vehicles have some vampire sucking them all the time. My daily drivers go for 8+ years without issue. Annual terminal attention with a spray of NOCO or similair.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I only buy agm batteries. They do not corrode the terminals under normal circumstances

Don't overtighten the terminals and you won't get the green fuzz even on regular batteries.

Why? What is the science behind that?

I use Pledge Furniture Polish all over the batter including underneath. There's something about keeping it clean and this stuff keeps it looking like brand new all the way until it dies of old age. Laugh if you like but my OEM Toyota battery in my 03 4Runner lasted 12 years. One part of this is living in S. Cal where it never sees freezing weather. When I replaced the OEM batter it looked brand new. Try if before you laugh it off.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger

The terminals are tapered. Over tightening distorts this taper. Fit is no longer good.

Im still on my original at 227k kms and pretty much 10 years. I just sprayed the terminals with cleaner and topped with protectant spray. Good idea to clean once in awhile.

When you overtighten the terminal nut, you also force the post to tilt over. That movement cracks the case/post seal, since the case is made of plastic and is a lot more flexible than the post.

Once the case/post seal is compromised, gas escapes through the cracks, causing the green-and-fuzzies.

Here's a simple test anybody can perform:
1) Clean off all the fuzzy stuff using the usual methods
2) Dry off the posts and case, squeaky clean
3) Apply some dish soap to the base of the posts where they meet the case, making sure you leave a thick, smooth bubble-free film all around the post, with no gaps
4) Reattach battery cables (negative last!)
5) Start engine
6) Watch bubbles start to form in the dish soap.

That's your crack. That's where the fuzzy stuff comes from.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
With the cooler temps, I noticed the Pilot taking a little extra time cranking over in the morning. Popped the hood and saw green fuzz on the positive battery terminal. Cleaned everything up with a baking soda + water mixture, put a dab of dielectric grease on the tightened connections and now she fires up instantly.

All of mine get cleaned every fall when I load test the batteries before winter. As far as visually checking for "green fuzz" or other issues, it happens every time I change the oil or do maintenance. Apparently not everyone does a simple visual check.

I have found when I see green or white corrosion and I clean it, it often comes back in a few months.

Maybe a leaker terminal?

Exide battery?

Original Honda battery from the factory. This is the first time the terminals have ever been touched. Not sure who the supplier is. Maybe JCI?

When you overtighten the terminal nut, you also force the post to tilt over. That movement cracks the case/post seal, since the case is made of plastic and is a lot more flexible than the post.

Once the case/post seal is compromised, gas escapes through the cracks, causing the green-and-fuzzies.

Here's a simple test anybody can perform:
1) Clean off all the fuzzy stuff using the usual methods
2) Dry off the posts and case, squeaky clean
3) Apply some dish soap to the base of the posts where they meet the case, making sure you leave a thick, smooth bubble-free film all around the post, with no gaps
4) Reattach battery cables (negative last!)
5) Start engine
6) Watch bubbles start to form in the dish soap.

That's your crack. That's where the fuzzy stuff comes from.

We should just go back to the "spring clamp" top post terminals.
05145.jpg

It would prevent over tightening, I don't really know why they disappeared to begin with?

Last edited:
Those sprays and felt washers arent worth it, IMO. A good coating of dielectric grease keeps mine good for the duration.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Those sprays and felt washers arent worth it, IMO. A good coating of dielectric grease keeps mine good for the duration.

Yep, dielectric grease after cleaning the terminals and connectors is all I ever do to a new battery. Once this is done I have never had to touch the connections until it is time to replace the battery 5-7 years later. I have never had green fuzzies and never had a poor connection in 25 years of driving.

I just went through this on my Pilot and it's second Honda battery. Time between removing anode green fuzz went from 12 months to 6 months to weekly. Even with baking soda scrub, new felt washers each time and NoCo spray. Then the battery died.

A new battery fixed the situation. Seems the old Honda battery was venting a lot, the new one doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back