Camper lug bolt question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Jayco popup camper and I put new rims/tires on it this summer and after installing those, somehow I lost 3 of the 4 lug bolts the first time we took it somewhere and I saw the rim wobbling on the hub. Bought 4 new lug bolts, re-torqued them and they still come loose. Is it time to replace the entire hub/bearing assemblies? Its a 1997 popup that we use maybe 5-8 times a year. Also, if I am replacing the hub....anyone know if I can go from a 205/65/10 wheel/tire setup to a 12" rim w/ radial tire setup? I am not a fan of bias ply tires.

What torque value are you using? Do the lugs look original? Not too familiar here, but I thought most of these interfaces had a cone-like surface, which gives some spring to the tightening process. Don't remember now on my 4.8x12 wheels on my utility trailer, off-hand, if it has such surfaces or not.

Changing tire size may be easy, but it has to fit. I'd figure out the diameter of your current tires, diameter of your proposed tires, subtract the two, half it, and then cut a piece of wood to that size. Place that on top of your tire and run it around, to make sure no interference. Don't forget, when loaded up the trailer will sit lower, so it may be wise to load it up and not have it on any stabilizers.

I torqued them to 100ft lbs, I don't have the manual but I recall that being the right value. Just looked up the tire sizes and looks like the 12" tire adds about 1.3" in diameter, I have a utility trailer with 4.80x12 tires on it, I may mount one of those on the camper to see what it does.

For the torque, buy a cheap bending beam torque wrench. Before the purists complain just remember that it's not as accurate as their expensive whatever torque wrench but is more accurate than your arm and certainly accurate enough to be safe and does not need to be ever be calibrated. On top of that you can check it against a real mechanic's very expensive whatever torque wrench. You may be surprised at how close they compare.

Then remember, clean everything before assembly, very clean.

Running on loose lugs will wallow out the holes in the wheel. You probably need a new wheel.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
somehow I lost 3 of the 4 lug bolts the first time we took it somewhere and I saw the rim wobbling on the hub. Bought 4 new lug bolts, re-torqued them and they still come loose.

Sounds like a mismatch between nut and seat; chronic loosening is exactly what happens when the two are mismatched.

I'll bet you're using tapered-seat nuts on ball-seat wheels, or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back