Is mobil1 0w-40 pao base now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they've changed the chemical composition of the oil; no longer having bmw ll-01 approval.

Is the oil still pao based or moved down to group 3 along with other ones?"

As MolaKule has pointed out - Often a mix of base oils for best bang for buck in that spec
Seems the expensive BO allocation is often for gear oils, specialized lubes etc ...

At your OCI of 2-3k km. I can't see how any decent oil would make any difference.

I'd be more interested in the oil meeting your engine's required specification rather than chasing some composition you think is significant.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'd be more interested in the oil meeting your engine's required specification rather than chasing some composition you think is significant.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed.

I mean isn't it one of the arguments that the new 0W40 is missing a few specs that the old one had?

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed.

I mean isn't it one of the arguments that the new 0W40 is missing a few specs that the old one had?

I did not say that M1 0w-40 is the right oil for his application. If he needs LL-01 oil, then there are many other choices out there that fit the bill.

Agreed.
I'd run this myself if I lived in Japan.......
Best Oil To use!

At your OCI of 2-3k km. I can't see how any decent oil would make any difference.

Someone said the msds for the new m1 0w40 mentioned Fischer-Tropsch, so it's part GTL like pennzoil syn, and part pao. Still meets a40 and mercedes, so plenty great oil there. Trust it in older BMWs off warranty.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Agreed.
I'd run this myself if I lived in Japan.......
Best Oil To use!

No, This One
wink.gif

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I see what you did there with shell 10w-40 lol.

It's just that my oil temperature constantly sees 100-115C during trackdays/gymkhana&drift so I am worried that

1. bmw specification of 10w-40 may lack cSt at those temp.

2. If inevitable, which would protect the engine best during harsh driving?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: S50b32
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I see what you did there with shell 10w-40 lol.

It's just that my oil temperature constantly sees 100-115C during trackdays/gymkhana&drift so I am worried that

1. bmw specification of 10w-40 may lack cSt at those temp.

2. If inevitable, which would protect the engine best during harsh driving?

Man I run 105 in city when I push a bit my 35d.

OP, the new FS formula is mostly GTL

0W40 FS -> 10-20% PAO, 40-70% GTL (according to the January/2016 data sheet)

You'll do fine, my M3 hits 100~105C just driving on the freeway on hot summer days, and the oil performs well.

Most high power machines are spec'ed 40wt or heavy 30wt oil from the factory, a few example

Ferrari 458/488 - Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Porsche GT3/GT3 RS/Turbo/Turbo S - M1 0W40
Lamborghini Gallardo/Huracan/Aventador - Castrol 5W30 LL-03

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back