MC Blend 5w20, 2981mi, 4924 total, '16 F150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I know doing a UOA with only 3k miles may be silly but I wanted to run one as a practice as this is my first ever UOA.
grin.gif
I have no idea what any of this means but the report said everything looked great. I refilled with Mobil 1 EP 5w20 and was planning to run 10K miles. However, the guys at Blackstone didn't recommend going that far so quickly (see below).....Maybe they didn't realize I changed to full synthetic but I'm pretty sure I wrote that on the slip....Please give me your thoughts on this. Any other tips are appreciated

Thanks in advance!

2016 F150 v8 5.0L

Oil - MC Blend 5w20
Miles In Use - 2981
Miles Total - 4924
Make-Up Oil Added - 0

Sample Taken - 6 Nov 2016

ALUMINUM - 4
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 15
COPPER - 6
LEAD - 0
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 23
NICKEL - 0
MANGANESE - 5
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 3
BORON - 105
SILICON - 14
SODIUM - 5
CALCIUM - 2128
MAGNESIUM - 10
PHOSPHORUS - 678
ZINC - 764
BARIUM - 0

SUS Viscosity @210* -50.5
cST Viscosity @100* -7.41
Flashpoint in *F -390
Fuel % - Antifreeze % -0
Water % -0
Insolubles % -TR
TBN
TAN
ISO Code

From Blackstone:
ANDREW: Running the next fill close to 10,000 miles is a bigger jump than we'd like to see you take, but
we certainly think this engine is ready for a longer run than this. Averages show typical wear for the 5.0L
Coyote engine after an interval of about 5,800 miles. Wear is low on this shorter run, and that's impressive
for an engine with such low miles. Normally we see lingering wear-in (high metals, silicon) at this point, but
you've been able to clean that up already. Our suggestion is about 6,000 miles next, but we tend to be a bit
conservative. Very good report!

Last edited:
Low numbers !! Factory oil change intervals are up to 10.000 miles? Those engines are really nice.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Whats the recommended interval?

The manual says to use the oil life meter in the dash of the truck or no more than 10k miles but change at least once a year. Supposedly the computer calculates based on how hard you drive, how much idle time, temp, etc. Based on the percentages I've seen I should get somewhere between 7500 and 10k per oil change. I was planning to just use the meter as my Guage thinking I'll get close to 10k

Andrew---the OLMs in GM vehicles work very well as compared to Blackstone's UOA results when looking at TBN. I would assume the BLue Oval OLM is just as good as GM---in other words, trust it unless there is a reason not to, like a hole in the air cleaner, engine water ingestion, referring to an event which the OLM cannot detect etc.
Steve

Thanks for the input guys. I was planning to have a TBN on the next UOA. Maybe I'll run it to 7500 miles and change it then and see what the TBN says.

Originally Posted By: AccF150
I refilled with Mobil 1 EP 5w20 and was planning to run 10K miles.

This plan would work ........ obviouly , with or without TBN test.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back