Has anyone used the Powerbuilt cutter on eBay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shata
This one

Which is $20 more than what the OP linked too.
If the $29 tool does what the $49 tool does, why buy the $49 tool?

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
I've had one for years. It works.

So you have had this tool and used it with no problems?

Well, today I used a 4" exhaust cutter tool like this for my smaller filter (you can rent an exhaust pipe kit from Advance Auto that has a chain type cutter like this).
While it worked, it was not a real easy smooth cut like a true filter cutter. It is hard to control the pressure right when the blade cuts through the metal, and not all wheels cut through at the same time, so it ended up cutting somewhat awkward.

As you can see, it does cut a pretty clean edge, and no metal shavings mess like a Dremel with a cutoff wheel or a hack saw, and for sure easier than tin snips, but I think I am just going to save up a little more and get one of the cutters designed specifically for oil filters.

I tried the same 4" cutter on a larger filter a while back and you can see how it just dented and punched holes in the can, but it would not cut it.

The cutter was on the last link, which is why I was thinking about getting the 6" one, but after using it on a filter than it fit fine, I am going to pass.

Now just need to figure out which type of filter cutter to get (single blade with post in center or 3 blade type).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back