Time for New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it appears as though I need a new battery. Yesterday I was out putting some air in the tires and could hear the pump start to whine-down a bit. I decided to hop in the car and start her up (in retrospect I should've known this was pointless) but to no avail. Shoot. Grabbed the multi-meter and checked the car battery, 11.7 volts. Ok, took the battery out and cleaned everything up nicely as there was some buildup on the terminals, put some terminal grease on there and reinstalled. Turn the key, nothing. Oh well, the battery has served me well since Spring of '12. Put her on the charger overnight (Diehard DH75A) to get her up to charge and give it another go in the morning. Woke up, went out to the garage, charger indicated battery had a full charge. Verified with the MM, 12.6 volts, turned the key and nothing. Hmmm ok, checked the voltage again 12.3, hmm interesting. Put the charger back on to see if I could use the boost option, but that worked to no avail. Put the charger away and just let the car sit there for a little while to see what kind of droppage I was getting. Checked the voltage again about an hour later 11.3 volts. Checked it about two hours after that 5.5 volts. Well, I think this battery has seen its last day.

I've narrowed it down to two choices:
AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto ($116.49). This is the battery that's currently in and has served me well.
PowerCell Platinum from Meijer ($99.99). Never used one before but I like the price point.

I have two questions before purchasing. Who makes the Meijer battery? How many of you have experience using the Meijer battery?

Yeah I saw that, I'm curious if when they changed names they also changed contracts. I can't imagine that, that would have any baring on things but you never know.

Exide has had numerous quality issues over the last number of years. East Penn makes very good batteries. Johnson Control makes some good one's as well. For JC it just depends upon who they are making them for. And where they are bring made.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Isn't the battery cheaper if you use an Advance Auto coupon code?

That price is with a promo code. Original price is $156.99.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exide has had numerous quality issues over the last number of years.

x2

Auto craft gold made by JC would likely be a good choice. Especially if you buy it from a store that does good business. Therefore the stock of batteries isn't old and just been sitting collecting dust.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Walmart EverStart Maxx if you travel and need replacement. $94 for my group 65

$104.97 for what I need, but more importantly I'm simply not a fan of Walmart and shop there as little as possible.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Well, it appears as though I need a new battery. Yesterday I was out putting some air in the tires and could hear the pump start to whine-down a bit. I decided to hop in the car and start her up (in retrospect I should've known this was pointless) but to no avail. Shoot. Grabbed the multi-meter and checked the car battery, 11.7 volts. Ok, took the battery out and cleaned everything up nicely as there was some buildup on the terminals, put some terminal grease on there and reinstalled. Turn the key, nothing. Oh well, the battery has served me well since Spring of '12. Put her on the charger overnight (Diehard DH75A) to get her up to charge and give it another go in the morning. Woke up, went out to the garage, charger indicated battery had a full charge. Verified with the MM, 12.6 volts, turned the key and nothing. Hmmm ok, checked the voltage again 12.3, hmm interesting. Put the charger back on to see if I could use the boost option, but that worked to no avail. Put the charger away and just let the car sit there for a little while to see what kind of droppage I was getting. Checked the voltage again about an hour later 11.3 volts. Checked it about two hours after that 5.5 volts. Well, I think this battery has seen its last day.

AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto ($116.49). This is the battery that's currently in and has served me well.
PowerCell Platinum from Meijer ($99.99). Never used one before but I like the price point.

I have two questions before purchasing. Who makes the Meijer battery? How many of you have experience using the Meijer battery?

Something sounds a little odd. Did you check the battery acid in each cell?
If like to charge with it out of the vehicle if I really have concerns. A DVM is not the best tool to diagnose battery condition. A carbon pile load tester is the best tool but requires a fully charged battery.

Walmart ValuePower for $48!

I've got one in the Camry and one in the grandparent's Trailblazer. I wouldn't put one in their car if I didn't think it would last.

The AAP Autocraft Gold is 116.99 using a $40 off $100 online code. That includes the core charge. Turn in the old battery ($22 core) when you pick up the new one, should be 94.99 plus tax.

if you have a costco membership then get one at costco, amazing 39 month full replacement warranty

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: RamFan

Something sounds a little odd. Did you check the battery acid in each cell?
If like to charge with it out of the vehicle if I really have concerns. A DVM is not the best tool to diagnose battery condition. A carbon pile load tester is the best tool but requires a fully charged battery.

No I didn't check the acid in each cell. TBH the only part that sounds odd to me is that with a full charge it still wouldn't crank over. Then again, with it being installed 9/12 it is getting to the age where it will begin to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back