'94 Toyota Pickup... Questioning Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all... new here and glad to have found ya. I'm an XJ owner/driver, but am here asking about a friend's Toyota.

She loves her little '94 Toyota Pickup (140,000 miles, automatic transmission) and something isn't right and I'm not buying what the mechanic is telling her. Truck was running well until it started "squealing", in her words. The truck made it home to the farm and I had a listen a day later.

The squealing is more like a metal "shearing" sound... think a table saw blade cutting through a 2x4.
Occurrence: Sporadic at idle in P, N, D. Increased with engine RPM when sound was heard.
Source: It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the engine / bell housing area.

The truck drove, but was underpowered (I was told).

She had it towed to a shop in town and they said that she needed a new transmission (without giving specifics) to the tune of $2100 + $1000 labor.

My initial reaction was, "which part of the transmission needs replacing...why the whole thing"?

My amateur guesses are more along the torque converter / spun bearing / flywheel lines.

She's not going to have them install it, but she is planning on buying a second hand tranny and having a family friend install it. I'm hoping to get her to be sure about what's wrong before spending the money she may not have. Tomorrow she's going into the shop to ask just what is wrong, so we'll see what they have to tell her.

It's vague, I know, but any thoughts?

Thanks and looking forward to contributing in the future.

The AW4 in an XJ is supposed to be mechanically the same transmission as those. They're great trannies but a defective one is possible. New is ridiculous, used would be fine.

Maybe it's the flexplate?

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Torque converter /Front trans pump going out

This would be my guess, too.

I'd get a second opinion on a tranny and I'd have to think long and hard to spend that much to fix a truck that old.

Yea I think she's in that "what's it worth to me vs what is it actually worth" boat. Not sure if she could afford to buy another car.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The AW4 has a rep for being pretty tough-maybe look for a decent used one?

Indeed. Not sure how she was searching for a trans or for which trans.

Austin made the transmission for XJs and Toyota. AW4 in an XJ and A340 in a Toyota.

I believe the housings are different.

If you want to look for a transmission, I recommend www.car-part.com

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Austin made the transmission for XJs and Toyota. AW4 in an XJ and A340 in a Toyota.

I believe the housings are different.

If you want to look for a transmission, I recommend www.car-part.com

Thanks for the referral and the codes.

Austin made the transmission for XJs and Toyota.

Aisin Ie: Aisin Seiki, which is partially owned by the Toyota Group.

They have collaborated with others, such as Borg-Warner. Transmissions made in that joint effort were referred to as Aisin-Warner or Aisin AW.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd get a second opinion on a tranny and I'd have to think long and hard to spend that much to fix a truck that old.
Ha! I still drive an '87 Toyota truck.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Austin made the transmission for XJs and Toyota.

Aisin Ie: Aisin Seiki, which is partially owned by the Toyota Group.

They have collaborated with others, such as Borg-Warner. Transmissions made in that joint effort were referred to as Aisin-Warner or Aisin AW.
Lol! Just saw that. I posted from my iPhone. Autocorrect!

An automatic will squeal if it has been run without ATF. AMHIK If it has ATF in it , limp it down the road to another mechanic. Put both rear wheels up and see if you can pin point the noise.

Originally Posted By: Globalksp

My initial reaction was, "which part of the transmission needs replacing...why the whole thing"?

Most shops aren't gonna go there on a 22 year old automatic, even a Toyota with 140K miles. If the symptoms indicate a transmission problem, they will advise replacing the whole trans. A trans shop will fix the one in the truck...by rebuilding it. 22 year old automatics aren't really the kind of component you replace just the broken piece on. I would want to know absolutely 100% that the trans is at fault, but if it is, then time to R&R the whole thing one way or another at that age and mileage. The exception of course would be a recent rebuild/replacement, but if it's the trans the truck rolled out of the factory with, it's probably just its time to go. If I were the shop working on it, I would want a guarantee that the customer would pay for the "autopsy" before tearing into a 22 year old automatic to figure out what exactly went wrong (other than being 22 years old).

That's not to say it's not worth it to fix the truck. The truck is worth whatever it's worth to the owner. I'm sure whatever is needed to fix the truck is available, it's just a question of money/quality of the repair. If the transmission went out on my 1994 truck tomorrow, a replacement trans would be on the way that day. I would only open up the old one for entertainment though...it's old and has ingested significantly more mud than transmissions are supposed to, so dues have been paid and I know it's toast when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Ha! I still drive an '87 Toyota truck.

I've heard stories about how rugged those old Toyota trucks are. Still, $3000 is a lot to spend on a 20 year old truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back