Anyone here use 'gas station loyalty rewards'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of people here use CC loyalty/bonus/cash back programs with their cards.

Do many of you use gas station reward programs? Up here, Petro-Canada has 'petro points'; Esso has a newly revamped 'Esso Extra' points program they push more now; and obviously there is CT 'money' which is now becoming a paperless points system.

I used to collect CT money for gas purchases, but at the behest of my BIL I got a new Esso Extra Card. It seems to give good rewards without having to spend as much as some places, and a lot of the rewards 'piggyback' onto each other, which is cool.

Lets hear what you use!

Irvings Rewards. After I buy 50 gallons, I get 10c/gallon off on a fillup (up to 20 gallons).

Irvings is in a number of places, most importantly, places where I tend to be, so it's not like I'm driving out of my way. Prices seem competitive enough.

I think my TD Bank North (? whatever they are) has cashback on gas purchases, but that would just show up on my credit card bill.

I sure do with my commercial fuel buying. Lately, been pulling of about 50 cents a gallon cheaper than the cash pump price. And I now have about $73 in points to buy additional stuff at the locations I normally fuel. Last nights fuel... diesel cash price $2.339/gal. Actual price to me was $1.809/gal.

I've been meaning to sign up for that plenty card. I shop at rite aid and prefer mobil for my fuel. Anything is better than nothing

I use Esso points card as well as my Amex gold with Scotiabank. On gas, grocery, restaurant and entertainment purchases I get 4x the points.

While the Esso card doesn't give me much rewards since I mostly purchase regular (more points on mid grand and prem. gas), it's better than nothing as I have to buy gas regardless.
21.gif

I use Kroger rewards to get 10 cents off a gallon at Shell. 10 cents off for every $100 in food purchases in the prior month.
They also run 2X and 4X fuel rewards on gift cards from time to time.
You can get up to $1 off a gallon at Kroger gas stations.

I also use the Shell Fuel rewards to always get at least 3 cents off a gallon.
If Joey Lagano wins a Sprint cup race they usually give 22 cents off a gallon on the Wednesday after. (8 gal min purchase)
They also offer a 10 cent a gallon off with an 8 gallon purchase of VPower, 8 gal minimum till 1/1/2017.
You can link other master charge cards for additional rewards.
https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/welcome.html?RefId=9f1e34e20a464290bd77daf72dc0a640

I can only use one of the above at a time.

I use a Shell credit card that gives 5 cents off a gallon even with the above discounts.

Last edited:
Since Speedway bought out most HESS stations(in which I frequented) , I have been using their rewards for reduced cost of my fuel. Depending on accrued points, one can get .10, .25 or. 50 cents off per gallon up to 25 gallons. Much more to this of ccourse.

Last edited:
I use a BP rewards credit card. It gives you the option to use your points as cents off per gallon when you fill.

If you spend at least $50 at Kmart, you get 20c off per gallon at partnering gas stations (depending on region, it could be BP or Sunoco)

Only thing I do is Cumberland Farms. You link it to your bank account and you get 10 cents off per gallon plus every 40 gallons you get a free drink. Their prices are sometimes competitive. They do throw in freebies once in a while.

I use Kroger for the Shell discount but I also have a BP Visa that I use for virtually every expense(and pay off in full every month). Since my wife and I drive her i3 as much as possible the BP gas credits quickly add up; tonight I filled up my son's 3er with 93 octane for $1.71- 10.9 cents per gallon.

I've got Petro-Points and Esso Extra. If you're simply looking for free gas, Esso Extra might work out a little better. But, as a wide loyalty program, Petro-Points is hard to beat up here. I have a Petro-Points credit card, and don't even get gas there, but amass a lot of Petro-Points. I'm gathering almost as many as when I did fuel there. There, convenience store purchases add up quickly, if you use their bonuses, and the credit card lets you accumulate bonuses everywhere. I like the Petro-Points because you can convert the points to Best Buy gift cards, among other things.

At least historically, Esso Extra points weren't as useful outside of Esso. But, you got full value if buying gas. Petro-Canada penalizes you if you want to buy gas from them, essentially cutting your points value in half versus other redemptions. I haven't seen much on the revamped Esso Extra program yet; I simply haven't looked. The Petro-Points CIBC Mastercard also gives you two cents off per litre right at the pump, which is a pretty big deal by Canadian standards, and you get the Petro-Points, too.

Currently use the PenFed Cash Rewards card. 5% cash back as a credit on my credit card bill for all gas paid for at the pump. I often stack that on top of the Superamerica MY SA Rewards, which is usually 3 cents off a gallon of regular and 10 cents off a gallon of premium. At current pump price of 2.30 a gallon for premium, I purchase it at 2.20 a gallon, and actually pay 2.09 a gallon when I pay the bill.

Used to use the BP rewards card until they changed it many years ago. Since they limit the rewards to 20 or 25 gallons, it made it hard for me to maximize the rewards with either a smaller tank that wasted some of my "reward". Or, if I filled full on my trucks, I couldn't buy a full tank (was 30 gallons, now is 36... Too much hassle to keep track off, and ended up being a much worse deal than the penfed card after all the changes...

I forgot to mention, with the grocery, fuel and seldom restaurant purchases we do, the amount of points I get on the Amex Gold gets me roughly one free $25 gift card per month.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Since Speedway bought out most HESS stations(in which I frequented) , I have been using their rewards for reduced cost of my fuel. Depending on accrued points, one can get .10, .25 or. 50 cents off per gallon up to 25 gallons. Much more to this of ccourse.

+1. I have the Speedway Rewards CC, which gives 4x the amount of points for every dollar spent @ Speedway. Cash the points in for a variety of things. Last time that I cashed points in, I paid for most of a new dishwasher at Lowes.

We also buy most of our groceries at Giant Eagle and I allow the fuel perks to accrue until I receive free fuel. Got 30 gallons last week at no additional cost.

We also use Kroger incentives as well. Usually get one tank a month at a .10 to .40 cent discount, depending on our grocery needs.

For other fuel purchases, I use a PNC CC which gets me 4% rebate on $250/month. No longer get anywhere near that since I'm retired.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Only thing I do is Cumberland Farms. You link it to your bank account and you get 10 cents off per gallon plus every 40 gallons you get a free drink. Their prices are sometimes competitive. They do throw in freebies once in a while.

Me too. I basically have it just for the 10 cent p/gallon savings using Smart Pay. All the local CF's around me are regularly priced the same or even lower than any other station so add in the 10 cents off and It is really cheap comparably. I get free item coupons all the time from them for in the store stuff even though I don't buy a lot of gas anymore these days.

Last edited:
We shop at Safeway here in Oregon and build up the credits to the max level and then I fill my Sierra up to get the max credit at max gallons before they expire.

I have a card for Speedway, but am a long way off from being able to redeem it for anything useful. My state doesn't allow the fuel discount for some reason.
mad.gif

I have a BP Rewards card as well that I've only used once, but I got 37 cents off per gallon that time. My Sentra's gas tank is so small that it's hard to figure out exactly when to use it, since the light goes off after 10.5 gallons have been used, despite having a 13 gallon tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back