AEM dry flow filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any recent reviews of these filters. How are they? My main concern is filtering ability so I have no problem just using a paper filter. If these filter as well as paper the reusable factor would be a selling point for me.

Application would be 2012 F150 3.5 EB. I live down 2 miles of county road so it would see plenty of dusty operation.

Paper has higher efficiency but the dry flow is the closest aftermarket filter for popular applications with good efficiency unless we're talking Donaldson heavy duty stuff.

I just looked at a chart showing iso 5011 efficiency for ac delco a3087c 99.96% with aem at 99.68% for part number 75-5013-1D. I wouldn't want to go below 99.5% if I had the option since air filtration is very important

Everything I've seen shows AC delco filters having high efficiency but the dry flow is much better at flow with less restriction for modded vehicles

I had an original one in a cone filter. It fell apart after two years. But AEM stood behind their lifetime guarantee and replaced it with the newer type.

aem-old-and-new.jpg

Well that picture makes me not feel wasteful for throwing out a paper filter every 15-30k miles!

I use them in a few vehicles. Thankfully, I have yet to see anything bad, especially not as bad as the pic above. Wowzers!

All of mine except one are very oversized cones. This greatly reduces the air velocity entering the media. They take a long time to get dirty.

The new AEMs are wire backed. Look just like the oiled K&Ns but are dry. K&N bought AEM IIRC.

I bought two AEM Dryflow filters with cleaner and swap every 20-30k. So far so good and autoanything gave me 10 percent off and free shipping. I notice hardly anything,its the only mod besides KN Cabin filter and weathtech floor liners I am doing in brand new Civic. Might get the Borla axle back exhaust and Takeda 2 Stage if they will send dry not oiled filter.

Conversely I loved the quality of the two aFe Pro Dry S filters I have used. Best K&N by a mile. I hope K&N doesn't cheapen AEM...

Not a lot of info around here on the AEM Dry Flow filter. Figured I'd wake up this thread instead of starting a new one. I picked one up for about 1/2 the cost of the aFe. Application is for the '05-'15 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L 1GR engine. I only bought it for being able to reuse it. I have no illusions of performance gains. Feels as good a quality as aFe filters I've used on other vehicles. From what I can gather...K&N had a hand in developing it.

Thoughts?

Theres also a brand called Upgr8 on amazon. Appears to have the same quality as spectre and aem, but a lot cheaper. No specs on efficiency but I'm getting good readings from the maf sensor when driving. UOA should tell me how its doing once silicon goes down from the vcg work I did.

Ran one in the wife's Chrysler 200 V6 for awhile before trading in. The 283HP engine in the light Chrysler 200 made it run well.

Never had an issue, I like the fact it was dry due to the K&N leaving oil residue on the throttle body butterfly valve typically.

I have an AEM dryflow, have for years, clean it maybe once a year with their cleaning solution in a bottle. I also get UOA's done and they all come back fine indicating proper filtration.

Here's my UOA running AEM Dry flow for 11.7k miles:

Vehicle: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: Cummins 6.7, EGR unplugged, remaining emissions intact
Driving style: Mad Max Fury Road; Gozer the Destroyer/Traveler
Sampling method: Mid-stream catch
Use: 40/60 City/Highway
Filter: Fram Ultra (with louvers!)

TIME ON UNIT 284377
TIME ON OIL 11677
OIL BRAND Amsoil
OIL TYPE Marine and Diesel 12 TBN
OIL GRADE SAE 15W40
OIL ADDED No
FILTER Yes
OIL CHANGED Yes

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 24
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 5
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 2
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 3
Sodium (Na) 8
Potassium (K) 2
Water (%) Coolant No
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 163
Calcium (Ca) 3273
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 1064
Zinc (Zn) 1283
Molybdenum (Mo) 13
Boron (B) Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 15.2