Fuel Economy, MoDTC and TEOST33C deposits (PDF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good find!

did you see this?

Quote:
The molecular weight which influences to viscosity and evaporation property of base oil will contribute to deposit formation as shown in figure 7. Evaporation property especially 90% evaporating temperature has strong correlation with deposit amount therefore a lubricant’s persistency at high temperature is considered to be the key property.

Low Noack and high flashpoint oils can use more moly it seems.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Good find!

did you see this?

Quote:
The molecular weight which influences to viscosity and evaporation property of base oil will contribute to deposit formation as shown in figure 7. Evaporation property especially 90% evaporating temperature has strong correlation with deposit amount therefore a lubricant’s persistency at high temperature is considered to be the key property.

Yes, I did. Very interesting this relationship between moly and TEOST.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Good find!

did you see this?

Quote:

Yes, I did. Very interesting this relationship between moly and TEOST.

"Formulating with a small amount of high molecular weight base oil is one possible way to elevate the high temperature persistency of engine oil. PAO40 is used as the high molecular weight base oil in this study."

Another nail in the thin oil coffin? (though I'm not sure what the 40 in PAO40 means. Presumably not the same as SAE 40 weight)

Last edited:
"MoDTC has a significant potential for improving fuel
economy
The persistency of lubricant at high temperature will
give a large impact on TEOST33C. It will be possible
adding high dose of MoDTC for fuel economy
improvement without serious deposit increase.
"

Originally Posted By: Ducked

"Formulating with a small amount of high molecular weight base oil is one possible way to elevate the high temperature persistency of engine oil. PAO40 is used as the high molecular weight base oil in this study."

Another nail in the thin oil coffin? (though I'm not sure what the 40 in PAO40 means. Presumably not the same as SAE 40 weight)

PAO40 means they add a small percentage of 40 cSt base oil to the mix to provide a thicker film at high temperatures, a general practice now for thin oils. Most base oils mixtures are mixes of various viscosities of various base oil types.

Or you could just add a splosh of heavy Group I (eg Esso 600SN). It does the same job for a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Or you could just add a splosh of heavy Group I (eg Esso 600SN). It does the same job for a fraction of the cost.

But then you have to put semi-synthetic on the label and you can't ask a premium... ask the marketing department how they feel about that...

But then you have to put semi-synthetic on the label and you can't ask a premium... ask the marketing department how they feel about that...

Never, ever ask the marketing department how they feel about anything.

First time they don't listen. Second time, they don't understand the question. Third time, they disagree with everything you say as a matter of principle...

No I don't. I just mix a splosh of straight 40 and a splosh of 15/40. I don't have to tell anybody anything.

Oops.

How much is a "Splosh". Is it the same as a splash or a dash ??

PS: I'm not a real fan of oils that mix different base stocks. The reason is that the EU has a problem with a refinery in Bulgaria that is dumping cheap HC synthetic base stocks (There is a real glut of them) for give away prices to a bunch of new oil mixers who then self certify a new engine oil.
Some of those new oils are a real disaster area!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back