My Snowy Commute Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the dashcam rolling on my way to work yesterday. Apparently I forgot to reset the clock as it's an hour off. Not too bad of a drive. Got to see a Subaru Brat at 3:00 in the video.

The parking lot where I live wasn't maintained too well - you can see they did plow as my Jeep was plowed in. Roads weren't the greatest. Not really a problem for my Focus on the cheap GT Radial snow tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGrmuBjgcA

I don't know how you guys up north can deal with it all winter. Plus all that road salt and sand gives me the heebie jeebies.

Hats off to you for making the drive nonetheless.

The GT Radials on my girl's Civic are doing well.

Picked up a used (like new) set of Cooper WeatherMasters for $200 for my Accord this season. My General Altimax Arctics were done.

Haven't had tons of snow in Buffalo yet.

That was a nice video. What cam are you using?
The only thing I would have done differently with my vast snow driving experience was to bang out
that Focus at 6500 rpm on the upshifts and double clutch to retain traction....... lol
Just kidding
smile.gif

Nice. Didn't snow that much over the weekend here, although I seem to have kept quite a bit of what was on the deck somehow--usually the first snow melts pretty fast. Not a good sign--may mean the forecast is right, a harsh winter. Still keeping an eye out for another set of snows for the new-to-me Camry.

It's actually quite mild right now. Did a bicycle ride yesterday; it was 37F or so. Rotated my new-to-me tires on this morning and I think it was 25F or so. No cold wind yet, so not bad.

Have ice & rain this AM and its going east. Last Fridays storm should have kept the states body shops going for a couple months now this

Thanks for showing us what it's like in the snow.

In S. Cal we've had an early winter, too. It rained so hard that there were puddles on the ground. Some puddles were over a foot across and the ground stayed wet for hours after the rain stopped.

In your video I was amazed at how sensible everyone was driving.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

In S. Cal we've had an early winter, too. It rained so hard that there were puddles on the ground. Some puddles were over a foot across and the ground stayed wet for hours after the rain stopped.

Thanks for posting.

Most New Yorkers from his area know what they are doing in the snow.

Marylanders on the other hand...

-Signed as a former Western New Yorker, however I never got to drive in the snow up there before we moved.

Don't lump us Marylanders with the southerners . The people of Baltimore don't even know our part of MD exists- its like another country to them.
Here we know snow really well although not as well as upstate NY.
Ice and freezing rain is the one that will do you in.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Thanks for posting.

-Signed as a former Western New Yorker, however I never got to drive in the snow up there before we moved.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
LOL at the guy on a bicycle at 1:50

Woah! Didn't even notice him! There were a few out yesterday that some friends pointed out along their commutes.

Thanks for posting.

The crazies seemed to happen Sunday night when the snow started. I passed my fair share of AWD crossovers stuck. One of the other videos (provided the dashcam got it) that I'll upload eventually has me passing a few stuck vehicles on the hills. Sunday it was either people in crossovers going 90 or people just idling along.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
That was a nice video. What cam are you using?
The only thing I would have done differently with my vast snow driving experience was to bang out
that Focus at 6500 rpm on the upshifts and double clutch to retain traction....... lol
Just kidding
smile.gif

It's my only reliable vehicle, don't want to break it! But I usually will double clutch 1-2

Originally Posted By: redhat
The GT Radials on my girl's Civic are doing well.

Picked up a used (like new) set of Cooper WeatherMasters for $200 for my Accord this season. My General Altimax Arctics were done.

Haven't had tons of snow in Buffalo yet.

These are great tires! I'm quite impressed with them. Especially considering I paid piece for them, mounted myself and due to a mistake at Walmart, only paid $10 to balance all 4!

That's the truth Airgun. People look at me funky when they figure out where I live and that I drive to almost the airport every day for work.

Ain't it..... I'm talking professional people too.
Then tell them you need to drive completely through Delaware to get back to Maryland- (Salisbury MD.) lol
They act so confused when you tell them you are a few minutes from Delaware and PA.

That's the truth Airgun. People look at me funky when they figure out where I live and that I drive to almost the airport every day for work.

Snowy Syracuse. I enjoyed watching the vid but glad I don't have to deal with those driving conditions. Nice smooth driving job by you.

Thanks for posting.

A Subaru.. my bad for thinking it was a Dodge in the other thread.

I've never seen a brat before here in the rust belt.

A kid in town has a Justy. Looks like an AWD metro. Lol

I didn't even bother going to work yesterday, nice to spend the day with the kiddo. I hate that part of 81, it's a cluster.

Thanks for the vid.

Didn't see it all but it reminded me why I hated living on the prairies. When new snow flies, it takes FOREVER to get anywhere (drivers drive like they've never seen the white stuff before).

On the upside, those conditions make for some of the most entertaining drives when exceeding the limit
whistle.gif
. Corners can be fun too when employing generous use of the ebrake
laugh.gif

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back