new VTC actuator rattling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may know of the VTC actuator rattle on newer Honda K24's, it has been an ongoing issue for 8 years. I purchased my 2012 Accord over a year ago and it had the rattle from the time of purchase. There were rumors that Honda was working on a fix, which turned out to be an updated part that became available earlier this year. I had the part installed under warranty about a week after finding out the part was available. Well we just hit freezing here in FL last night and when I went to start the Accord it gave me the all too familiar rattle
frown.gif
. So just throwing it out there, that even the UPDATED part seems to have its flaws. Ugg. Will continue to monitor and if it happens more frequently I MAY take it back in. I don't like the thought of the dealership tearing in to my engine again though.

That's too bad. My grandmother just bought a 2011 CR-V, 63k miles. I'm assuming it's one of those possibly affected?

I haven't heard any strange noises though. I'll listen harder next time I drive it.

Were you aware of this problem before you bought this generation Accord ?

I was surprised you got rid of other cream puff Accord.

My 2014 Camry has the startup rattle as well, but only on a cold start after sitting over night. Mine is also an issue with the vvt gear/actuator. My car is out of warranty and some research shows the "updated" part also fails in short order.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Try a heavier oil.

This would make it worse. The problem is colder temps = heavier oil = oil not getting to VTC quick enough = VTC pin not pumping up with oil to lock into place = rattle.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Were you aware of this problem before you bought this generation Accord ?

I was surprised you got rid of other cream puff Accord.

I did know the issue existed, but it didn't seem like it was a wide spread issue...and really its probably not considering how many K24's are on the road and how few have issues. I just didn't think the issue would happen to my car. Oh well, hopefully it won't happen often enough to be an issue. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
My 2014 Camry has the startup rattle as well, but only on a cold start after sitting over night. Mine is also an issue with the vvt gear/actuator. My car is out of warranty and some research shows the "updated" part also fails in short order.

I didn't realize Camry's had this issue too. Does it cause any problems if not fixed?

My 2013 Camry SE 4cyl 2AR-FE has finally developed the buzzy quick rattle at cold start after 52k miles. Owned it since 4 miles new. Full syn. Oil changes with TGMO and M1 EP every 5k or less. Waaay taken perfect care of.

Still it developed. Just the way it is.

My 2013 Corolla developed it a 10k miles.

In the Camry the pin wears and the slot the pin is supposed to lock into also wears. I can just barely bump the key in the morning then start the car normally with zero noise, then it never makes the noise again all day. As for long term effects I have no idea but I suppose it would completely fail at some point. I'm at 72k miles right now and the issue popped up about 10k miles ago.

Also nothing but M1 EP with Toyota and Fram Ultra filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
In the Camry the pin wears and the slot the pin is supposed to lock into also wears. I can just barely bump the key in the morning then start the car normally with zero noise, then it never makes the noise again all day. As for long term effects I have no idea but I suppose it would completely fail at some point. I'm at 72k miles right now and the issue popped up about 10k miles ago.

Also nothing but M1 EP with Toyota and Fram Ultra filters.

Isn't that just fantastic!? Thanks Toyota! And the fix also fails from my research. Sweet.

The wife's 2012 CR-V has the same issue, most of the time first start of the day in temperatures below 50F or so. Started happening sometime after 40K miles. It now has 67K miles. Have always used synthetic oil (Mobil AFE 0w20). Lately I started using Castrol Edge 0w20 and it reduced the noise occurrance slightly. I may try using Castrol Magnatec next time around. Not really interested in putting the vehicle thru the "fix" as I have read engines getting damaged after careless techs not following the actuator replacing procedure correctly.

Originally Posted By: GimmeTorq
The wife's 2012 CR-V has the same issue, most of the time first start of the day in temperatures below 50F or so. Started happening sometime after 40K miles. It now has 67K miles. Have always used synthetic oil (Mobil AFE 0w20). Lately I started using Castrol Edge 0w20 and it reduced the noise occurrance slightly. I may try using Castrol Magnatec next time around. Not really interested in putting the vehicle thru the "fix" as I have read engines getting damaged after careless techs not following the actuator replacing procedure correctly.

This is the main reason I don't want to have it "fixed" again. Everything seems to be fine after the first replacement, there was 5 PPM of coper in the UOA but hoping thats nothing to worry about and not related to VTC replacement.

The Toyota 2ZR-FE's do it as well and mine has been exhibiting the rattle for at least 100k. It has never bothered me enough to take action.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Toyota 2ZR-FE's do it as well and mine has been exhibiting the rattle for at least 100k. It has never bothered me enough to take action.

Interesting. Does that engine have a chain or belt?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: CT8
Try a heavier oil.

This would make it worse. The problem is colder temps = heavier oil = oil not getting to VTC quick enough = VTC pin not pumping up with oil to lock into place = rattle.
Are you positive or just guessing?

I bump the starter, and then start the car on my Accord when it's really cold. This prevents that nasty noise.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
That sucks. Honda sure isn't what it used to be.

I'm no Honda Fan Boy, but that's an ignorant statement. Issues are gonna happen, especially cars/engines are getting more and more complicated. Things are bound to crop up. You've obviously never designed or built anything.

Last edited:
Honda is far from the only maker having this problem. Most people seem to think it isn't a problem, but a few people have had serious engine problems and blamed it on the actuator, rightly or wrongly (I know of one Accord owner and one Mazda 3 owner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back