Ozone generator for odor removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 1 year old Jetta for my daughter. Car is perfect, but the interior was very perfumed. Over the past week as the scent dissipated, a hint of smoke could possibly be detected, not sure. But, the fake cherry scent was still strong.

I purchased an industrial ozone generator and ran it in the car for (3) 15 minute sessions, one with the Hvac on recirculate.
Afterwards I opened the windows to let it air out. For now, the car smells like fresh air after a thunderstorm - perfect. Will need to see how it smells in a few hours and in the next few days. Might be the best $75 I spent on detailing cars...

Anyone else use it to remove smoke/odors from an interior?

I bought one of those too. Got it off Amazon. About the same price. Have not needed it in the truck, but I have used it in a couple of rooms of the house a few times. Just don't plan to stay in the same room with one running. Wow, the ozone smell as it is being generated is unbearable and quite bad for the respiratory system. Works well....but it will last ONLY if the source of the odor (such as smelly stuff in carpet) has been removed.

The entire car appears to be shampooed and I assume that is the cherry smell. It is spotless. I think the dealer was covering up a smoker smell, but not sure. Not a single trace of a smoker in the car, it is perfect, but I think that was the underlying smell.

It has been 2 days since I used the Ozone generator. It is winter weather here, so the windows have been up the whole time.
The car has a slight hint of ozone smell remaining, but that is it. Not a trace of the cleaner smell or smoke. Amazing results so far.

I don't care what they say about ionic air cleaners. Just don't keep one on in an enclosed space with you for extended periods. They do an excellent job of causing dust to agglomerate and drop out of the air and they neutralize (not mask) odors exceptionally well.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I don't care what they say about ionic air cleaners. Just don't keep one on in an enclosed space with you for extended periods. They do an excellent job of causing dust to agglomerate and drop out of the air and they neutralize (not mask) odors exceptionally well.

This is not an ionic air cleaner. This is a small briefcase sized industrial ozone generator. Yes, it might kill you if you sit in the car with it running within 5 minutes, but user beware. It is a use it and be done forever solution, not something that stays in the car and is on while you drive.

If I remember my high school science, doesn't ozone rot most rubber items? I'd think the seat foam and other rubber items would rot.

Smoky

Ozome can indeed damage certain types of stuff but modern cars have very resistant rubber parts that hold up very well to an occasional shot of the "perfect deodorant".

Great thing to have IMO...

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This is not an ionic air cleaner. This is a small briefcase sized industrial ozone generator. Yes, it might kill you if you sit in the car with it running within 5 minutes, but user beware. It is a use it and be done forever solution, not something that stays in the car and is on while you drive.

Thanks
Oh. Thanks for letting me know that.

I've used one in a car that smelled like smoke. Let it run overnight with the windows cracked a hair. Worked well. On hot days with the car closed up you could sometimes still smell a tiny hint of smoke but it got rid of 98% of the smell.

Cigarette smoke is a dense, oily smoke. It is vile.

What AMAZES me is that the ozone can get to the oily residue which is in fabric (seats and carpet) as well as the foam underneath.

Where does the oily wretch go?

ozone cleaners are supposed to be awesome.

I have actually had pretty good luck with odoban. It is a multipurpose cleaner but I had an older vehicle that had a smock smell and I scrubbed everything down with odoban and hot water and let it air dry. Smell was gone. It is safe for almost everything on the surface of the car. You can also buy a gallon for under $10 at HD

I love OdoBan! And now they have a fresh linen scent that is much nicer than the lavender or eucalyptus i have been using for years before. You can dilute it for so many uses. Air freshener spray, fabric freshener (like febreze), surface cleaning, mopping, etc. And still it's very affordable.

Cigarette smoke in the car? Only thing I've used that actually worked after a deep clean with some odor remaining is Ozium. I've never tried an ozone generator but ozium works too. Turn the AC on full blast with fresh air intake, spray ozium several seconds into the intake usually at the base of the windshield. Then turn the AC to recirculate mode. Spray a heavy fog into the inside of the car from the backseat forward to get it circulating and fog the backseat area before shutting the door leaving car running. 10 minutes or so running max AC then turning off AC and turning back to fresh air intake for a minute or so before leaving it open to air out. Don't breathe the stuff though. It's strong. Once it airs out it just smells clean, no fake perfume smell or anything.

Originally Posted by Bgallagher

I have actually had pretty good luck with odoban. It is a multipurpose cleaner but I had an older vehicle that had a smock smell and I scrubbed everything down with odoban and hot water and let it air dry. Smell was gone. It is safe for almost everything on the surface of the car. You can also buy a gallon for under $10 at HD

Oh, thanks a lot for this! Have you tried the Ozium Air Spray to eliminate nasty odor caused by smoke?

Originally Posted by Johnsik
Originally Posted by Bgallagher

Oh, thanks a lot for this! Have you tried the Ozium Air Spray to eliminate nasty odor caused by smoke?

We use Ozium at work. A little goes a long way.

If I remember correctly, you can overdo it especially concerning leather interiors. Overuse(24 sessions etc.) of an ozone generator can prematurely age leather and cause a lot of cracking . Still a fan because it a great way to get rid of unwanted smells.

My wife smokes so several years ago I bought a $20 ionic cleaner and installed it in her vehicle. To this day the interior does not smell. Plugged into a power outlet that only powers up with the key so no power drain worries.

The Xterra I bought in my signature was previously owned by a heavy smoker. Three 20 minute sessions with my ozone generator got rid of 99% of it. Well worth the purchase!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back