No OEM available. Dayco vs Gates Coolant hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the major parts stores here sell Dayco, guess it won't burst down with the first WOT, but I read that Gates is better. Not sure about NAPA brand but it would be a few days to get.

Any opinions on that? Worth ordering online?

Napa hoses are usually Gates.

As for Dayco vs Gates, either is fine. Gates is not as good as it used to be, in my opinion.

Gates is a major manufacturer of OEM hoses and cheaper if you don't want to pay OEM prices. When it comes to availability either either hose should have no issues.

Thanks for the replies so far. Actually, by Rockauto's prices for my application Dayco is the most expensive (by about 7 bucks). The hoses are in the 10-20 range.

Both hoses are ECR, and seem likely last to the next 2 year coolant change interval. As long as one brand isn't total junk vs the other, I may just go local.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
All the major parts stores here sell Dayco, guess it won't burst down with the first WOT, but I read that Gates is better. Not sure about NAPA brand but it would be a few days to get.

What car is this for?

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: ford46guy

What car is this for?

Lincoln below.
Lower hose (original) seems a bit ratty, the clamp sunk into the hose. Honestly it could probably stay, Ford really used quality hoses. I think a bit of trans fluid leaking did it in. The other hoses are in very good shape.
The choice is Dayco(local), Gates, or Goodyear/Continental.

Looks like Gates will be a one day ground deal and cost about the same as local, may go for it based on online rep.

Last edited:
Gates fit better and usually have an O.D closer to OE allowing the use of the OE spring clamps, add to that the fact that its a very good quality hose and you have a winner.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Gates fit better and usually have an O.D closer to OE allowing the use of the OE spring clamps, add to that the fact that its a very good quality hose and you have a winner.

Yeah, the goodyear ones are very thick, had to use a worm clamp. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Worm clamps are the worst thing ever foisted on the business. They damage hoses and have a bad habit of leaking when the temperature drops especially when used on plastic fittings like radiator necks and thermostat housings.
Spring clamps keep constant tension on the hose without damaging it, if you must use a worm style clamp use a constant tension style like these, they have a full inner steel band so the hose doesn't start poking through the slots.

These come in all sizes and are available from many online retailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Constant-T...WG03MFQ84ZBV5BN

I have always used Dayco hoses as that is what is available locally and I have never had a problem with them.

Worm clamps are the worst thing ever foisted on the business. They damage hoses and have a bad habit of leaking when the temperature drops especially when used on plastic fittings like radiator necks and thermostat housings.
Spring clamps keep constant tension on the hose without damaging it, if you must use a worm style clamp use a constant tension style like these, they have a full inner steel band so the hose doesn't start poking through the slots.

Thanks for the link to the clamps, I have never seen those before.

Looks like 50/50 for both brands, no catastrophic failures either way. This Lincoln happens to have a thermostat located at a low point under the vehicle. It has no weephole either. I think most of the block gets drained if you remove it, you get a nice coolant shower!

I prefer Dayco. They seem a little thicker and fit better. I wouldn't hesitate using a Gates if everything fit ok.Goodyear is another brand I really like if you can find them.

Last edited:

Amazon also sells the good German worm clamps as well, I use them. They're the same as Mercedes or BMW OEM, minus the 3-pointed star or roundel on the bands. They're sold as Precision Brand Metric stainless steel hose clamps.

Almost a Coke vs Pepsi thing. Anyway got the Gates hose because it grouped well on RA with the Ford Tstat and o-ring. The old spring clamps are in great shape, hopefully will fit the new hose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back