Small Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a tiny trailer that I can pull behind my 2.4L Accord.

The only requirement is that I can fit 2 BMX bikes in it. Of course, I could easily remove the front wheels to lower the height of the bikes. My 11 year old son is heavy into BMX racing and he races 2 different bikes. We travel all over the country. These are expensive bike ($4k each) so I'm not wanting to put them on a bike rack on the back of my car, exposing them to the elements and road grit/grime.

Can you guy recommend a good trailer?

Your in the state that makes a good portion of the trailers and campers of the US. Your going to want a prow front to help break the wind and get radial tires to help with the ride. Most better trailers are equipped with torsion axles.

If you have a light trailer and light cargo - make sure the springs are soft enough to keep the tires planted best you can.

I'd get an Aluma. Made in Iowa, (almost) all aluminum and torsion axles. I've had a 5x8 enclosed Aluma for years and I love it.

The 486 looks like a good option. 280 pounds and lots of options such as front wind/rock guard, motorcycle brackets, etc

Last edited:
One comment on aluminum trailers (like them) - torsion has a bit less carbon steel exposed - but the spindle assembly can become a rust lightning rod - just keep an eye on the few steel parts - might need some wire brush & rattle can TLC ...

Originally Posted By: E365
I'd get an Aluma. Made in Iowa, (almost) all aluminum and torsion axles. I've had a 5x8 enclosed Aluma for years and I love it.

The 486 looks like a good option. 280 pounds and lots of options such as front wind/rock guard, motorcycle brackets, etc

The 486 isn't enclosed from what I see. I gotta have an enclosed trailer.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Are you open to making the enclosure, or does it have to be done for you? I wouldn't blame you for wanting to buy turn-key, but for two BMX bikes and some tools being pulled by a small vehicle, I have to wonder if DIY is going to get closer to optimization.

Originally Posted By: supton

Are you open to making the enclosure, or does it have to be done for you? I wouldn't blame you for wanting to buy turn-key, but for two BMX bikes and some tools being pulled by a small vehicle, I have to wonder if DIY is going to get closer to optimization.

supton....I've been looking around, and I think you're right. There are a lot of custom trailer builders around here. I should just ask for some folks around here.....

Do you guys think I could haul this trailer with a 4 cylinder Accord?

https://www.trailersuperstore.com/shop/covered-wagon-4x6-enclosed-cargo-trailer/#

From what I'm coming up with an 2010 Accord is rated to tow 1000 LBS? Still, I probably wouldn't > particularly not over a long distance... I think it is going to be a bit of a handful in a crosswind...

Would laying the bikes down be an option? Maybe by making a padded divider? And if so would they fit in something like this?

http://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed/single-axle/ae46-all-purpose-enclosed-trailer#trailer-options

You'll take much less fuel economy hit with the lower profile trailer as well...

I'm kind of surprised there are not more specialized trailers for this sort of thing, guess everyone throws them in a minivan/suv or on top of the car....

The trailer itself is 3 heavy friends. The manufacturer is going to recommend 0 towing but I'd check on what you can get on etrailer and do that accordingly.

I tow a 800 pound popup with my 4 cylinder Ford Focus, and then add camping gear to it.

Those Alumas look like nice trailers, but are quite a bit more expensive than what I'm used to paying from manufacturers around here (Manitoba Saskatchewan and Alberta).

i wouldn't load that baby up to 2000 pounds behind the camry, but of course with just a couple of BMXs and some tools/spares you won't. No brakes and 2000 pounds behind a passenger car is overdoing it, imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back