LastPass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Lastpass.com

Pretty neat.Convenient way of consolidating passwords. Log onto the site click onto the sights you have registered..The sight comes up with your password invisible and you are in. If you do the premium service you can install it across all your devices and log in from anywhere. Its $1/month

It takes some effort to set up but once you do a site it goes quick. I really only put a dozen things on it so far. I'll add more as time goes by but all the critical ones are on it now.

It's what I use. Having to memorize one complicated password is much better than using many simple ones. That is, unless they get hacked in a way that exposes everything...

They have extensions for most browsers (probably not for IE/Edge) that make using LastPass rather easy.

If you have a problem exporting your passwords when you want to change browsers, install this on both, export your passwords in your old browser to lastpass, then use lastpass on your new browser. If your new browser is configured to save your passwords when you log in, you should have most of your passwords saved into your new browser in a few weeks.

I don't trust those password manager sites. Having all your passwords in one centralized place seems like a treasure trove for hackers.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I don't trust those password manager sites. Having all your passwords in one centralized place seems like a treasure trove for hackers.

I would only store passwords in my browser or LastPass, that were not financial related. If a North Korean hacker wants my login for BITOG, I'm not losing sleep over it. But any banking or shopping site--that's another story.

My concern with this type of business is the hacking risk. If someone breaches the servers they would have struck gold. The fallout would be huge.

I've given up and just have mine on a piece of paper. Anything can be hacked. Sure, I could misplace it, but then again, I could do the same with my car keys or wallet.

All my financial accounts require a 2 step verification if someone tries to log on to it from a different computer ..don't yours?

If they want to hack into bitog have at it. Basically the site lets you conveniently log into your accounts without DECREASING security.

Last edited:
The "two step" process consists of nothing more than user name and then a password, both of which travel over an unsecured web.
Sounds real secure to me.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The "two step" process consists of nothing more than user name and then a password, both of which travel over an unsecured web.

To what are you referring? I think Al is referring to two factor authentication

I use Dashlane for most of our passwords. No internet site needed.

For financial/investment sites I keep them in my head.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

To what are you referring? I think Al is referring to two factor authentication

Yea..unless someone steals your cell phone at the same exact instance they hack your password ...I'll take that chance.

I use it. It was recommended to me 3+ years ago by a security expert.

The main benefit is keeping a different, random password for each site, so when one site is compromised the cracker does not get access to all your other sites.
(Most people use the same password for every site. Crack the weak one and you get all.)

TFA is another good thing to have on accounts.

I don't know if the YubiKey will ever gain in popularity.

+1

Bingo ...

I believe the encryption for my LastPass vault is completed at my, the end-user, level. So, wouldn't that mean that a hacker would only be able to obtain encrypted data with no access to the encryption codes? Well, unless they also installed a key-logging virus on my pc simultaneously...

Like I said, I feel safer with the complicated, LastPass-generated passwords and 2FA than simpler passwords that I forget and have to reset for infrequently used, sensitive sites.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

+1

Bingo ...

Your passwords are already on a centralized place...your computer. Believe me a NO hacker can open your computer and passwords as easy as you slice a Christmas ham. (Bingo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back