Which coolant to use to refill low Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed my 2003 Subaru Legacy's coolant level is low. I have no idea when it was last changed or what brand coolant is in it. I plan to change it very soon but in the short term, what can I refill it with?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Distilled or even tap will be fine for the short term. Thoroughly flush and refill ASAP!

Thanks. I meant to post this in the coolant section and accidentally posted it here. The manual says to refill it with coolant but I don't know if it has Prestone in it or Subaru coolant in it.

Originally Posted By: Garyd
I just noticed my 2003 Subaru Legacy's coolant level is low. I have no idea when it was last changed or what brand coolant is in it. I plan to change it very soon but in the short term, what can I refill it with?

how low are we talking 8 oz..

or empty overflow bottle + need some in radiator?

Originally Posted By: Rand

It is just under the bottom line of the overflow bottle. I don't see any leaking. The coolant that is in there is green.

Originally Posted By: Rand

It is just under the bottom line of the overflow bottle. I don't see any leaking. The coolant that is in there is green.

Just under the line while hot or cold?

If cold, get it hot and see where it is.

Yes, older Subaru's used old school green. Zerex Asian would be an OK 'upgrade' though. Just don't forget to use Subaru's cooling System Conditioner when you flush it.

The overflow caps on these are very loose.. you can lose a few oz to evaporation yearly.. My windshield washer cap seals better.

Since its winter and you dont want the overflow freezing. Either use conventional green

Or drain 8-12oz out of the radiator put it in the overflow then add some distilled water to radiator to fill.

Or just do your cooling system maintenance now.

Make sure you use conventional green not ."All makes and models"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back