Fram cartridge filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgn

A lot of folks on here have a negative opinion about the fram spin on filters, but what is the consensus on their cartridge filters? The only filter available for my 2012 kia sedona at Wal-Mart is a fram cartridge. Is there a difference in filtration quality between the two types?

David

Not sure about your kia, but i've seen these cartridge frams fail miserably in german engine applications. Personally, I'd try to find something else.

I'm a Fram spin on user - but thier Wally cartridges look cheaply made IMO.
Shop on eBay - Hengst is a nice cartridge filter I use ...
(Or get Wix at parts house)

I think the cheap cartridge filters are using paper, the more expensive ones use fleece. The paper ones are typically only rated for 5k, but my car calls for 10k oil changes so I won't use a paper filter.

Many years ago I bought a Fram filter for my BMW. When I got it home it was such poor quality I returned it and bought Mann HU3903, and have never looked back

CH2965A_012406.jpg

FRam

HU_930.3_x.jpg

MANN

I've been using Fram CH9999 filters in a 2006 Sedona for 200,000+ miles. Filters are changed at every other 5000 mile oil change. Every filter has looked perfect going in and coming out.

Originally Posted By: dgn
A lot of folks on here have a negative opinion about the fram spin on filters, but what is the consensus on their cartridge filters? The only filter available for my 2012 kia sedona at Wal-Mart is a fram cartridge. Is there a difference in filtration quality between the two types?

David

The Fram spin on filters are top notch and highly regarded. I would put their entire lineup against the equivalent filters of the other manufacturers (which generally use low grade filter media). On the other hand s the Fram cartridges seem to be hit or miss on sizing and sometimes show a little bit of crushing.

The only filter for her car at walmart is a $28 Fram Ultra cartridge. No thanks.

I go online and buy OEM/ top notch Euro made filters from Rock Auto at $4.50 each.

Last edited:
A lot of them are made by others. I am not sure how many are made by fram but they seemed to be slow to make their own cartridge filters.

But if you plan to keep the car a while go to www.rockauto.com and order several to stock up and save. That way you get a filter you like and at a good price.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I use the Xtra Guard Frams. XG9018 to be exact, perfect looking when changing out.

There is no Fram Xtra Guard, the XG pre fix is for the Ultra part numbers.

The first generation Ultras with the same XG part number used to be called Xtended Guard which is where they got the XG from.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Some of them are reboxed OEM, and some are cheap garbage.

The OEM filter is a Korean-made Mahle OX417D

Looks like the filter is made in Korea which is probably re boxed at least the one I looked at is.

In the OP's specific case, the Fram Extra Guard CH10855 cartridge is (if nothing has changed very recently) a reboxed Mahle made H/K OEM cartridge. Also quite possible it says Mahle on it, it used to but that yellow stamp may be left off now. So in this specific case if can be had for less than the H/K OEM from the dealer or elsewhere no reason not purchase.

Fram outsources low volume cartridges and some spin ons. When volume increases they are brought in house. The CH9911 cartridge is one example of that.

As for Fram cartridges in general and Ultra more specifically, based on anecdotes posted I don't put them in the same class as the spin on applications. I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
In the OP's specific case, the Fram Extra Guard CH10855 cartridge is (if nothing has changed very recently) a reboxed Mahle made H/K OEM cartridge. Also quite possible it says Mahle on it, it used to but that yellow stamp may be left off now. So in this specific case if can be had for less than the H/K OEM from the dealer or elsewhere no reason not purchase.

Fram outsources low volume cartridges and some spin ons. When volume increases they are brought in house. The CH9911 cartridge is one example of that.

As for Fram cartridges in general and Ultra more specifically, based on anecdotes posted I don't put them in the same class as the spin on applications. I'll leave it at that.

Thank you for the responses everyone. At least at my local walmart at this time, the CH10855 does still have the Mahle stamp on the bottom and sells for about $10. The package also states that it is good for both conventional and synthetic.

David

Fram at some point in fairly recent times moved production from Korea to China for the Toyota cartridges, and I'm not terribly sold on the new filters/design. I think the previous one is actually pretty decent, very similar to OEM, and have one in my vehicle right now. I usually just get OEM for that particular application, because most of the ones I've looked at that aren't Toyota are not very well built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back