That's bout the same video I posted a day or so ago
smile.gif

I'd like to see a 0w30 test myself
Car51 you can make your own videos using Pronto filters in a freezer
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
That's bout the same video I posted a day or so ago
smile.gif

Looks to be the exact same video. There are dozens of pour point videos posted here over the years.

The results seem to be consistent between all the vehicles I've watched....M1 usually first or close to it.

That is why the vast majority of us that live or have lived in the interior of Alaska and similar cold spots use oil pan warmers. Even though I now live back on the farm I grew up on in Iowa, I still have oil pan warmers on a lot of my stuff. I don't like abusing my engines.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That is why the vast majority of us that live or have lived in the interior of Alaska and similar cold spots use oil pan warmers. Even though I now live back on the farm I grew up on in Iowa, I still have oil pan warmers on a lot of my stuff. I don't like abusing my engines.

And block heaters and battery blankets.

Very poor methodology in the test rendering the results useless. Notice the Walmart bottle had the small hole and thus a restriction.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Very poor methodology in the test rendering the results useless. Notice the Walmart bottle had the small hole and thus a restriction.

Good lord, every time somebody posts that top video ,somebody makes that exact comment and I have to post this video where they re did the tests in the same style bottle. Virtually the same results, the link is even a button in the original video. It's obvious that Supertech conventional doesn't flow as well as M1 at extreme cold temps.

Retest with same bottle shape

Originally Posted By: jayg
It's obvious that Supertech conventional doesn't flow as well as M1 at extreme cold temps.

Yeah, no kidding. But why not show Supertech conventional in the same bottle to show a more realistic comparison? Also, which oils where placed near the chill plate in the freezer? That can result in lower temps for the oil

And what's that shifty Boris doing behind that wood panel???

from a quick google

Amsoil & RP -51F pour point
Supertech -42F
M1 HM -33F

So looking at pour points why dosent it add up to the video? Is the pour point stat unregulated? Amsoil is the only one that states a spec, ASTM D97.

ASTM D97: tldr a sample is chilled at intervals until no movement is noticed when held horizontally in a test tube. Then +3F is added to the temp that no movement was noticed at, and that's the pour point.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
It's obvious that Supertech conventional doesn't flow as well as M1 at extreme cold temps.

Yeah, no kidding. But why not show Supertech conventional in the same bottle to show a more realistic comparison? Also, which oils where placed near the chill plate in the freezer? That can result in lower temps for the oil

And what's that shifty Boris doing behind that wood panel???

The video I posted shows them with the same bottle opening. They have thermometers and while its not the most exact scientific test , it gets the job done.

If you want it done better, you can always make your own.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
https://youtu.be/uQ_vxdO_9nc.

This was posted about a year ago, thought it was unique. I don't live where it gets 40 below zero, but it is revealing to say the least...

Revealing how? If you don't get close to those temps, it's meaningless. At say -10*F, all would have flowed quite nicely.

What exactly are they trying to prove ...

That if you use a 5W oil below it's certified test temperature that the results are unpredictable.

When 0W oils are available which are rated for -40, to claim that this test proves ANYTHING is a stunt.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

When 0W oils are available which are rated for -40, to claim that this test proves ANYTHING is a stunt.

It's obviously not a scientific method paid for by an oil company. It looks like 2 dudes that just want to show you what different types or oil look and flow like in cold temperatures. Entertainment only is what you should get from it.

This is how the internet works. Guys post up a video to show what the oil look like and people bash them for reason THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE VIDEO FOR. I post up a link to cheap Royal Purple and people chime in with "THERE ARE BETTER OILS FOR THE MONEY". Ok , I'm just passing the info along to somebody who might want it. I don't buy RP but if I have a coupon for it, I'll share it with others who might be able to use it.

Take it for what it is.

A completely fair test would be using Super Tech synthetic instead of throwing their conventional in there next to nothing but high end synthetics.

This is how the internet works. Guys post up a video to show what the oil look like and people bash them for reason THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE VIDEO FOR. I post up a link to cheap Royal Purple and people chime in with "THERE ARE BETTER OILS FOR THE MONEY". Ok , I'm just passing the info along to somebody who might want it. I don't buy RP but if I have a coupon for it, I'll share it with others who might be able to use it.

Take it for what it is.

I make the point because people on BITOG keep wheeling it out as PROOF of SOMETHING...when it isn't.

I DO take it for what it is, which is why I point out what it ISN'T, when it's presented as proof of something.

It's just like saying that we did a colorimetry test, and this one was more purple...

Who presented it as proof of something other than this is how different oils respond to extreme cold? Obviously Mobil 1 is better than conventional SuperTech but here it is on video to watch why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back