Interesting, a call it like it is automotive site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an automotive journalist that appears to be independent of the automakers and produces some interesting videos.

This site is new to me and I thought it was interesting to see someone else's view on various automotive topics.

I bought an old copy of The Dog and Lemon Guide last time I was in OZ. Critical analysis of most vehicles sold in Australia.

Only covers 1988-2008 but I'm not likely to buy anything newer than that anyway. (Older maybe, but hard to find here).

Unfortunately they no longer do the book, and the website is mostly pay-per-view, but if you had a specific purchase in mind I'd say it might be worthwhile.

There were a couple of sample reviews on there (Land Rover Discovery, IIRC) but they seem to have gone, which seems poor marketing to me. Some good background articles though.

http://dogandlemon.com/articles

Last edited:
Good video (though you can't play it for your mother, as it were).

A) I've been saying this for years (worthless product reviews).
B) Get the foolish toys OUT of cars. Touch screens are garbage on a good day. They don't age well.
C) The Skoda which takes premium gas is a shocker!

Like he said in the video, "car of the year awards are like A-Holes". His is just another one.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Like he said in the video, "car of the year awards are like A-Holes". His is just another one.

Agree, plus his mother needs a bar of soap. There is no reason to use foul language like that

I like it.

His reviews cut thru the "dog-and-pony show" nonsense that we as consumers are bombarded with when considering a new(er) car.

For the educated buyers who can discern truth from marketing jargon, we are the ones who get to benefit (financially and reliability) from the cars not making the top choices (lower used prices). We know the problematic areas to avoid and which will serve easy to live with on a daily basis.

These reviews that we've come to rely on actually steer (heh) us against the direction of making sound choices.

His reasons to avoid nitrogen filled tires are good, too, with a spicy presentation, to say the least. I suspect his swearing is just part of the show. He tears a strip off of people who comment negatively on his videos, too.
wink.gif

bear in mind that there's a different in perception of swear words based on regional preferences.

The stuff that he uses, the majority of Aussies WOULD have heard it from their mothers/grandmothers, although "ruddy" would probably have been used around the kids in their early years.

The "F" word was imported with American culture, and has become mainstream, although not in my mother's generation (although standing on a nail might elicit it).

Aussies use (decreasingly) Cockney slang too as we become more assimilated, but there's three staples that you will hear anywhere, everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back