M1 0w40 thinner at startup than Castrol 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to compare the current versions of these two oils.

M1 first

Vis 40: 70.8 vs 73.2
Vis 100: 12.9 vs 12.2
Vis Index: 186 vs 164
HTHS 150: 3.6 vs 3.5
MRV -40: 21,600 vs 20,400

With the MRV so close and M1's high VI and lower Vis 40 it looks like M1 0w40 will be thinner at many start up temperatures.

I wonder where their Viscosity meets.

As we head into the brutal California winter, this could be the difference between our engines surviving or not.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

As we head into the brutal California winter ...

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

The difference will defiantly be noticeable at temperatures between -37.5F and -46F with easier cold starts and improved fuel economy going to the thinner oil and lower VI.
However, below -46F, the cross-over temperature, advantage favors the high VI engine oil.

Remember, if you wish to plug your block heater in overnight, people with odd number address may plug in on odd number days, and people living in even numbered addresses may plug in on even days, such as the 6th, 8th, 10th etc.

Persons changing their oil before 3,000 miles must save the used oil for future use.
You may not plug your block heater in and flush your toilet both on the same day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I hear it dropped all the way into the 30s once, back in 1947

As we head into the brutal California winter, this could be the difference between our engines surviving or not.
wink.gif

In the high elevation mountains and high desert in California a syn 5W would be overkill

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Kuato

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I hear it dropped all the way into the 30s once, back in 1947
That's darn near freezing in California.

Interesting to compare the current versions of these two oils.

M1 first

Vis 40: 70.8 vs 73.2
Vis 100: 12.9 vs 12.2
Vis Index: 186 vs 164
HTHS 150: 3.6 vs 3.5
MRV -40: 21,600 vs 20,400

With the MRV so close and M1's high VI and lower Vis 40 it looks like M1 0w40 will be thinner at many start up temperatures.

I wonder where their Viscosity meets.

wink.gif

Unless you run -10W40, I have no idea how you car would survive CA winter.
Not sure about current M1 as I did not run, nor I will, VISOM version at least in my cars had noisier cold start than most 5W oils I ran in temperatures range of 10 to -30.

Overkill, I'm not the guy that said down to -7C.

It was CharlieBauer.

Widman graph goes from 0c to 100c, and he got right that 55deg C is the crossover point.

Last edited:
While I was kidding about the California winter, there are places in the state where you should run a 5w oil.

Originally Posted By: 40w8
Overkill, I'm not the guy that said down to -7C.

It was CharlieBauer.

Widman graph goes from 0c to 100c, and he got right that 55deg C is the crossover point.

Fair enough. People tend to use it below its range, that's why I pointed it out, I just quoted you because you were the one who linked it, that's all
smile.gif

While I was kidding about the California winter, there are places in the state where you should run a 5w oil.
I noticed the winkie

Lol, I was joking man.
One thing about Castrol 0W30 is that is has ridiculous pour point of -60, as far as I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back