Coolant for 1991 Lotus Elan with Isuzu engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is iron block with aluminum head. I flushed out the system 6 or 7 times, the last 3 with distilled water, so there is no trace of old antifreeze. Some of my choices are, Zerex G05 which I have a case at home, Pentosin as listed here: http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp and I'd probably get the PENTOFROST A2 green as it listed for most Asian cars 1990 and up, or Hyundai longlife which is the same as the Pentosin.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So why can't you use the Zerex? And you should be posting pictures of that Lotus.

Don't know, that's why I'm asking. This is the only exterior photo I have currently.

large.jpg

It probably doesn't matter, G-05 or just plain jane green will work - given GM's past ownership of Isuzu (according to wiki, GM owned Lotus for a bit too as well), they followed lock-step with what the rest of the mothership(Opel and Holden) did. I'd use the G-05.

Isuzu cab-over trucks are shipped with Dex-Cool from the factory in Japan.

Last edited:
They most likely still used green back then, as all these special coolants are a rather recent phenomenon.

That said, Peak Global Lifetime or the Zerex Asian or G05 should work fine
smile.gif

Not sure how much that helps. I think they all use Ethylene Glycol. It's the other anti-corrosion additives that are the reason for the question.

I haven't seen one of those in years

Loved the style, and the turbo was quite quick

They used normal green back in those days, no real motivation to change?

We need more pictures!

I don't know definitely what the spec AF is for the Isuzu engine. I'd speculate for 91 it's plain old silicate original/conventional Green IAT AF. Also, as noted the majority AFs are ethylene glycol based, including IAT, OAT, HOAT and PHOAT.

I'd avoid Dexcool and the Dexclone all makes models/universal because of 2eha used as inhibitor and potential gasket compatibility issues for a 91.

That leaves the Asian PHOATs. The older shorter service interval like the Pentofrost A2 which come as a concentrate. The longer service interval PHOATS, like A3 and A4 are backward compatible even though Pentosin doesn't note that. All the makes except Hyun listed under A2 now use the longer service interval A3 PHOAT premix type and are backward compatible. Quite certain even Hyun/Kia would work fine with longer interval PHOAT too. Problem is majority like Zerex Asian/WM Valvoline Asian come as premix making correct system concentration more difficult with complete exchange you're doing. PepBoys OEM brand Asian an exception, comes as concentrate in tint of choice.

There's also longer interval low silicate G05 HOAT as you mention as an option.

IAT original/conventional 'green' is an option, likely original spec for 91. Many now come in a low silicate formula. Still generally a shorter service interval AF.

Peak Global Lifetime OAT if you can find it at Napa in concentrate a good option too. Long service interval OAT with no 2eha inhibitor.

Not sure what the ISUZU AF shown is, but the fact that it shows diesel with it makes me think it's not "Dexcool" and also not spec for 91.

So with the exception of Dexcool/dexclones, you can pick between the longer and shorter service interval AFs.

Go with plain jane green coolant. Main reason is that I would be concerned about the gaskets... Just do radiator drain and fills every other year and you will be fine.

Went with GO5. It had the plain jane green coolant when I got it 10 years ago and this is the first time the coolant was changed since then. Maybe I can go 20 years now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back