What are Eco Boost owners using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wondering what fellow members that own Eco Boost engines are using oil wise. I see member TomCruise is using Maxlife Syn 5w30

Originally Posted By: car51
So I was wondering what fellow members that own Eco Boost engines are using oil wise. I see member TomCruise is using Maxlife Syn 5w30

Well, I'm using Magnatec at the moment because I got a good deal, but back to maxlife next go around after seeing my UOA.

Oh, I didn't notice your signature. Sorry bout that
smile.gif

Motorcraft 5w30 in the 3.5 F150 and 2.0 Fusion. Was previously using Pennzoil Gold in the F150 but at $2/qt out of the bulk tank at work I couldn't say no to Motorcraft anymore.

10w-30 HD diesel oil. CenPeCo or 15w-40 in the summer time. If its good for a diesel that has to live under a lot tougher conditions than a car or pickup just running down the road it should be good enough for a light duty gas engine.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
If its good for a diesel that has to live under a lot tougher conditions than a car or pickup just running down the road it should be good enough for a light duty gas engine.

This is among the most uniformed analogy ever put forth on this site.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: rideahorse
If its good for a diesel that has to live under a lot tougher conditions than a car or pickup just running down the road it should be good enough for a light duty gas engine.

This is among the most uniformed analogy ever put forth on this site.

If it's a mixed fleet HDEO (suitable for petrol & diesel) then it should be better formulated than the average PCMO.

Here we get GTX 15W40 and Castrol RX 15W40 HDEO, in stressful applications I would pick the RX over the GTX if they were my only choices.

In Australia, 15W40 is a common grade, my owners manual lists it. So running RX or Delo or Delvac MX is not a big stretch.

My mate has two WRX with the boost turned up to 21 or 22 PSI, he regularly tracks the cars, and his mechanic who works on performance turbo WRX cars, suggest that he runs Delvac MX 15W40 HDEO. He's been following this advice for years with no issues or spun bearings.

Last edited:
Better formulated for mixed-fleet usage (where it's been evaluated against the equipment in service)? Yes. Otherwise? No.

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/p...duct-range.html

The best any RX product can do is API SL, which was introduced in 2001, and is for 2004 and older applications. Not only is the viscosity wrong for EcoBoost engines here, but it's a less than ideal choice on the formulation front as well.

I rotate M1 or PP in 3.5 eB (with the Mobil/Shell alliance, bet ad pack is similar) ...

Well I'm only on my 2nd oil change in a car I bought used. (CarFax showed oil change at 10k & 18k)

22700 5qts of PP 5w-30 with 1qt RotellaT6 5w-40

26700 6qts 0w-30 Castrol Edge Euro

I plan on doing one more change with the 0w-30 Edge before 35k then settle in with 5k OCIs running either Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro or Castrol Edge 0w-40 .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cnatra
Well I'm only on my 2nd oil change in a car I bought used. (CarFax showed oil change at 10k & 18k)

22700 5qts of PP 5w-30 with 1qt RotellaT6 5w-40

26700 6qts 0w-30 Castrol Edge Euro

I plan on doing one more change with the 0w-30 Edge before 35k then settle in with 5k OCIs running either Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro or Castrol Edge 0w-40 .

^
This.
Turbo engine=Euro spec full synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

The best any RX product can do is API SL, which was introduced in 2001, and is for 2004 and older applications.

Best any RX can do is API SL (tells me its good for petrol cars) and ACEA E7 (tells me its robust with high shear stability and a Noack of 13% or less). API SN has no shear stability test and has a Noack limit of 15%.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 is API CJ-4 / SM and ACEA E7 & E9. This impresses me more than just API SN by itself.

The ACEA specs are much harder to reach than the API specs, and requires a better formulated oil. One of my favourite oils is Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, it's BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, but only API SL. It has slightly elevated Zinc levels to reach the low OEM spec wear limits, but that crosses the API Phos limits. It's interesting, API focus on chemistry, while ACEA focus on test performance.

Having said all that, I must admit we are going off on a tangent, and if I had an Eco Boost, I would probably run Castrol Magnatec 5W30 in it, as this is producing some great Eco Boost UOA's right now.

[BITOG 13 F150 Ecoboost - Magnatec 5W30 - 7000 miles- UOA]

I used Kendall for a long period of time, then I used M1 0w-40, I have a sample in the jar from a few months ago that T haven't sent in yet. Is anyone interested in seeing that UOA? Current fill is castrol edge ti EP 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I rotate M1 or PP in 3.5 eB (with the Mobil/Shell alliance, bet ad pack is similar) ...

Those two oil's ad packs are very different. Mobil uses heavy magnesium while shell uses only calcium, a strong dose at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back