echo blower won't start when it gets wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I retired my old echo pb755h and turned it into a backup. Well I got around to tinkering with it and I've found that the spark plug wire pulled out of the boot a little bit. Apparently the wire is cut off and the wires inside the insulation touches the spark plug to complete the circuit, which is how they designed it. The copper at the end is fairly rusted so I'm assuming water is getting inside the spark plug boot where the wire is pushed in and causing a short. It shuts off like I turn the switch off when I put pressure on the spark plug wire. What do you guys think about me just cutting off a little bit to get to some fresh non corroded wire and then shove some silicone (dielectric) grease into the area where I put the wire to prevent further corrosion? Then maybe this will keep the water out when it rains and allow it to run?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
shove some silicone (dielectric) grease into the area where I put the wire to prevent further corrosion?

Just what I was thinking while reading your post.

I don't think the wire is corroded. I think it's your ignition terminal connector that corroded where it snaps onto the plug. What you can do is put some scouring powder on a damp Q-Tip and scrub that corrosion away. If you change the connector, you'll need a spark plug terminal crimper. If you're careful, you can bend the terminal off with pliers without having to cut the wire.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't think the wire is corroded. I think it's your ignition terminal connector that corroded where it snaps onto the plug. What you can do is put some scouring powder on a damp Q-Tip and scrub that corrosion away. If you change the connector, you'll need a spark plug terminal crimper. If you're careful, you can bend the terminal off with pliers without having to cut the wire.

You mean the boot? Yeah I did notice the metal connector inside the boot was rusted pretty good. Still solid just a ton of surface rust. Maybe that combine with water intrusion causes enough resistance and cause it to short? I should have caught that earlier, could have just ordered a new boot, but I went ahead and stuffed some silicon grease in the boot. I won't know if it did any good until it rains. Or I suppose I could spray it with the water hose. I'm thinking about putting a zip tie around it too where the wire goes in.

I seem to have a habit of diagnosing problems backwards fashion. You would think buying a new boot with a new connector inside would have been step one. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back