MX-5 Race Car, Redline 30wt Race Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg
Just curious what engine management you use with the Miata?

The rules require the physical use of the stock ECM. The previous owner tuned it to run on higher octane fuel through dyno tuning, sorry I don't have any details.

A few questions from a non-racer:

- Has your car been raced for almost all its 20,000 miles?
- How long does an MX-5 race motor typically last between rebuilds? How many times can it be rebuilt before you have to junk it?
- Do guys normally change oil after every two race weekends? I've heard "change after every one", but I've never seen any data until now. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
A few questions from a non-racer:

- Has your car been raced for almost all its 20,000 miles?
- How long does an MX-5 race motor typically last between rebuilds? How many times can it be rebuilt before you have to junk it?
- Do guys normally change oil after every two race weekends? I've heard "change after every one", but I've never seen any data until now. Thanks for posting.

The best I can tell from the history is that its only been raced since around 15k. The Skip Barber school has some cars that have been raced for 40k+ and have only had transmissions changed.

Not sure how long a motor lasts. Some of the old pro teams used to run them around 2 seasons or so before changing. I'm not pro so I'm running till it blows or has significant performance issues.

Talking to Redline they are okay with the oil going 4+ race weekends. The more important concern is the length of time it is in the sump. The TBN is almost 0 so acid starts to build up in a hurry. Redline suggests no more that 60 to 90 days on a fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back