Weird Exhaust Oil Smoke Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a bit of an odd oil burning situation I am hoping someone can help out with.

Here are the facts:
1. Engine is a 6A12 DOHC MIVEC from an FTO (2L V6)
2. It was rebuilt (including heads) about 8 hours ago, then stored and not started
3. I have now started it up and have done a compression test. All cylinders have very high compression and about 2% variance between highest compression to lowest compression.

The symptoms
1. When I first started it clouds of oil smoke came out of the exhaust (I had dropped oil down the cylinders so I was not too concerned)
2. The smoke didn't go away though. The car created an immense amount of blue smoke from the exhaust
3. This continued even after idling for 30 mins
4. After taking it on a few drives (about 30km total if not less) the smoke pretty much went away
5. The last time I had it running there was no smoke, however if idled for 10 mins and floored there would be a bit of a cloud of blue smoke but not too much

The revelations:
1. I thought that what must've happened was the valve stem seals went dry and hard but after running they must've gone soft from the oil (Is this plausible?)
2. I am doing a timing belt swap and while at it decided to change the valve stem seals
3. The valve stem seals that are coming off the engine are actually soft to the touch to my surprise
4. The valve stem seals coming off the engine look identical between exhaust and intake
5. The OEM valve stem seals going on now are different between intake and exhaust

The questions:
1. Given the above, what are the possible reasons for the blue smoke during the first hour of running?
2. Given the valve stem seals coming out and the compression being so high, what would the puff of smoke after idle be attributed to?
3. Is it possible that the valve stem seals are just not the correct ones and hence the bit of smoke? Seeing as the intake and exhaust are identical yet the OEM replacement ones are different.

Any advice is appreciated

Very possible that the wrong valve seals were installed. In my experience, OEM valve seals are the preferred install. YMMV

Smoky

Whatever blew in the old engine puked oil into the manifolds, downpipe, cat, muffler, etc. This oil isn't being "burned" so much as "fried" by the heat. I'd give it more time before deciding you did something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back