10 cents a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been a tough one for me to remember even though I go shopping at Target, Walmart or grocery stores at least a couple times a week. I get my basket of stuff up to the register to pay and the cashier asks if I would like to purchase plastic bags to carry all my items in, ugh. No, not really, I would prefer the good old freebees that all the stores provided with every purchase up until a few weeks ago.

I need to get into the habit of bringing my own reusable shopping bags with me every time I go shopping, ugh.

It might sound petty, but this is a real pain in my backside. Now I have to try and remember to keep reusable bags in my trunk, and remember to get them out of my trunk when I get to the store, and walk around with my reusable bags until it's time to pay and bag up. Ugh.

I usually forget an item or three every time I go to the store as it is, now this. Ugh.

I hope the rest of the country doesn't follow this craziness.

I like bringing my own. I get way more in a bag, and I don't severe tendons carrying 60 pounds of groceries in at once.

Why not just buy the bags? $0.10 a bag is probably $1.00 a week, or $4.00 a month.

That $35k-$40k Lexus probably costs a lot more per month.

It's not that big of a deal....I'm not going to sweat over 50 cents or so....that said-I bring mu own when I remember (getting much better now)

And they will be charging for them pretty much nationwide at some point in the new future....

Or just buy a few more reusable bags if you forgot them right there, you'll use them eventually. You'll have enough so you have them in your car or home that you don't forget.

Last edited:
I have no issues bring in a bag. My location it has been law for over a year. no big deal.

I do miss having the plastic bags, as I would use them as trash bags.

If you are a real cheapo, go to the area where the supermarkets allow customers to recycle plastic bags and grab a few.

When it first became law, people started stealing the handbaskets. That's pretty lame.

We bring our own bags to the grocery store and have bags in both my wife's and my car. Went to Wegman's last year and didn't bring in any bags. Checked out and the cashier was a bit taken aback that I wanted to use their plastic bags. "You didn't bring your OWN bags?....You want me to use our PLASTIC bags?..."

I'm all for reduce, reuse, recycle. If the 10 cents per bag incentivizes people then it's doing its job.

agree, before that 10cents per bag was easily hiding in the cost of your goods.

Now that it's out and about, your disgust at having to pay more means it is working as intended. If your bottle of milk or whatever was 10cents more you wouldn't have noticed at all.

Shop at Aldi, bring home a free cardboard box full of groceries. Recycle it. Home depot around here has some nice thick free bags. So does target and jewel. No one charges for bags.

Now I've got to pay for bags that I simply throw in the trash.

"Free" bags got used to get the groceries home, to take my lunch to work, then line my bin to go into the trash.

Now I pay for the ones to line my bin...and they only see one "life"

The 10 cent per bag charge is not going to make a difference for many shoppers habits. They could have mandated the new plastic bags with handles be used and supplied by the stores. In Ca what is hilarious is this mess was a two part Proposition. One part outlawed the old type plastic bags in favor of paper (with and without handles) as well as larger heavier duty reusable plastic bags with handles that are now cost .10+. The other Proposition would have taken the monies raised by charging for bags and given it helping the enviroment concerns. The voters voted for banning plastic bags, but also voted against monies going to enviromental causes, so the stores get to keep the money! To top off the madness, the state is hiring inspectors (at state wages and benefits)to go undercover to make sure the stores are actually charging for each bag.

Whoa, I read this post and feel like I stepped into another country. What supermarket charges for plastic bags? I remember shopping at Aldi when I lived in the St. Louis, MO area, where you had to pay a quarter to get a shopping cart, then pay for bags. I thought that was an anomaly; just a scheme for them not to pay extra help in corralling the shopping carts into one place, and make your groceries cheaper. I guess I haven't lived yet, where I need to buy bags at every grocer! Here in Colorado (El Paso County, a very conservative area I should mention), nobody buys bags, they come with whatever you purchase-- other than the warehouse stores, which have always been that way. I use them as lunch bags, garage/bathroom trash bags, anything I can make use of them. Admittedly, many end up in the garbage.

Much like typewriters went the way of the dino, I suppose I won't complain the day grocery bags go away-- it'd just be change in habit for me, having to bring my own bags.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
This has been a tough one for me to remember even though I go shopping at Target, Walmart or grocery stores at least a couple times a week. I get my basket of stuff up to the register to pay and the cashier asks if I would like to purchase plastic bags to carry all my items in, ugh. No, not really, I would prefer the good old freebees that all the stores provided with every purchase up until a few weeks ago.

I need to get into the habit of bringing my own reusable shopping bags with me every time I go shopping, ugh.

It might sound petty, but this is a real pain in my backside. Now I have to try and remember to keep reusable bags in my trunk, and remember to get them out of my trunk when I get to the store, and walk around with my reusable bags until it's time to pay and bag up. Ugh.

I usually forget an item or three every time I go to the store as it is, now this. Ugh.

I hope the rest of the country doesn't follow this craziness.

Your post is one of many I have heard complaining about this new law. As an ex-Southern Californian myself, at least I know how it passed. There is NOTHING but SPECIAL INTEREST running your state government. Enjoy the sunshine and the other 40 million people. I'm so glad I'm outta there.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Your post is one of many I have heard complaining about this new law. As an ex-Southern Californian myself, at least I know how it passed. There is NOTHING but SPECIAL INTEREST running your state government. Enjoy the sunshine and the other 40 million people. I'm so glad I'm outta there.

They don't call California the land of fruits and nuts for nothing.

The real question is, how did the OP vote on the law?

I for one vote against any tax increase or stupid law like this one. I have lived here all of my 53 years and have seen the people get nuttier and nuttier over the years. Prop 63 is the one that I just can't believe passed. What is wrong with these people? Background check to buy ammo? Really? I buy the bags as we need them for cat litter and to line small trash cans.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
The 10 cent per bag charge is not going to make a difference for many shoppers habits. They could have mandated the new plastic bags with handles be used and supplied by the stores. In Ca what is hilarious is this mess was a two part Proposition. One part outlawed the old type plastic bags in favor of paper (with and without handles) as well as larger heavier duty reusable plastic bags with handles that are now cost .10+. The other Proposition would have taken the monies raised by charging for bags and given it helping the enviroment concerns. The voters voted for banning plastic bags, but also voted against monies going to enviromental causes, so the stores get to keep the money! To top off the madness, the state is hiring inspectors (at state wages and benefits)to go undercover to make sure the stores are actually charging for each bag.

well this was because the 2nd prop was written by the plastic bag lobby and would've stopped the other one; and was a sham of a proposition designed to trick voters.
Every newspaper who covered these two propositions explained this contradiction and said to vote yes on one and no on the other "fake" one.

I actually like the law because now I don't look so weird when I bring my own paper bag into the store. I get the empty cardboard apple boxes from the produce guy and use those boxes as trunk organizers. One apple box will hold two full size paper grocery bags and prevents them from tipping over while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back