Jawa and BSA coming back from the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents bought me a moped for my 14th birthday in the late 80's. I wanted a Jawa, but they got me a Sachs which I loved.

Well there were/are alcohol burning Jawa's in circle track racing (speedway and ice racing). I've worked on both their 2-strokes and their 4-stokes. Good stuff generally. But who knows how Mahindra will engineer the re-entrants ...

Sure hope they don't bring back the old BSA shift pattern
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
JAWAs were 2 strokes.

I doubt they'll be reviving the designs along with the brands.

Jawa's, like MZ's, had very effective chain cases. It'd be good if they revived them, but there are probably too many real-biker-fashion-victims out there for that to be viable.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

laugh.gif

DOT and others require that they conform to the "new shift pattern". But you knew that, right?

Originally Posted By: ammolab

laugh.gif

DOT and others require that they conform to the "new shift pattern". But you knew that, right?

Perhaps depends on the target market. I assume you mean the US DOT?. Two shift patterns (cyclic and... er...the other one) are in use on motorcycles here in Taiwan, which can be confusing, even dangerous, but maybe they only export one of them.

laugh.gif

These days called the race pattern. Funny that the young guys think it cool to have a ''race pattern'' shift - at one time all my bikes were down for up. I still have a bike with right shift, down for up - I never make a mistake (I've had it 40 years), but when I get back on my BMW I'm using the wrong feet, shifting the wrong way.

Jawa, they have a stereotype problem.

I hope they don't put the Goldstar badge on a 125 commuter.

i rode a jawa 2smoke moped around mission viejo,ca in '84
it could barely make it up a few of the hills
i liked the mpg it got

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
My second bike was a 1965 BSA 650 "Lightning Rocket" in 1966.

Maybe they'll do what they did with Royal Enfield .. I'd love to have a Lightning with FI that was dependable.

Exactly. The looks and good handling of the old ones with reliability and durability found in modern bikes. No more prince of darkness Lucas electrics or temperamental Amal carbs.

Originally Posted By: Silk
laugh.gif

These days called the race pattern. Funny that the young guys think it cool to have a ''race pattern'' shift - at one time all my bikes were down for up. I still have a bike with right shift, down for up - I never make a mistake (I've had it 40 years), but when I get back on my BMW I'm using the wrong feet, shifting the wrong way.

Jawa, they have a stereotype problem.

I hope they don't put the Goldstar badge on a 125 commuter.

That is exactly how a Road racing bike should look like

Hope they do a better job than Hero of india did when they torpedoed Eric Buell Racing who is trying to get back on their feet after the fornicating they got from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back