Wet sanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna wet sand my head lights and I'm reading in should use soap with the water just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of soap to mix . Dish soap hand soap?

Get the water slippery by adding baking soda; you don't have to use as much soap that way. About one ounce per 5 gallon bucket. Use a liquid detergent; (hopefully unscented) a couple of drops. If the water is still not slippery, add more baking soda.

I use a couple of drops of dawn in about a gallon of water but any dishwashing liquid will do, some hand soaps have oils and other things in them you don't want leaving a film on the part before clearing.

Dawn is the preferred around here
smile.gif

True, you don't need soap to get good results but a couple of drops helps prevent paper clogging especially the very fine grades, it also helps the paper slide easier to help prevent paper grabbing.

I've never used detergent either. If you do, make sure you clean extremely well with prep sol or equivalent before you clearcoat the light. Use 600 grit, then spray clear over them for the longest lasting result.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Palmolive only

Perfect got a bottle by the kitchen sink

Originally Posted By: Kira
What grits of wet 'n dry are you going to use?

I've got 2000 should I start with another

Depends on how bad they are yellowed, but in a severe case I would start with 500, move to 1000, then 1500 then use a buffer and some 3M 06060 compound to finish

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back