Replace tire pressure monitor sensors aft 10 yrs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Kia Rondo, in service Dec. 2006, so 10 years now. This is my 1st car with TPMS. I have read that the estimated life is around 10 years, and eventually, the battery can fail. Tire changeover to the winter tires is coming up. I don't have spare rims, so changeover means tires off, then tires on. I am going to ask the dealer how much $ for 4 new sensors at changeover time. Wondering if anyone has kept a car with TPMS a long time, and how long the sensors lasted?
With my track record of keeping cars a long time, if this one remains trouble-free, I could see keeping it going at least 5 more years.

TPMS sensors are one of things things where when one goes, you might want to budget replacing all 3. Same when a coil goes on a COP / CNP system.

My Xterra is 06 and replaced 1 sensor this spring. Got it used on ebay for $13. No need to fully dismount the tire to replace in my case anyway. Walmart and several others will test for free. I would check if there is a forum for your car and see what others are getting for sensor life.

Yeah, 6-8 years is normal. They use a sealed lithium battery. I think part of it depends on how much you drive. The factory ones are usually pretty expensive, but if you can figure out what the frequency of the sensors are, you can usually find a cheap set on eBay, sometimes in the $50 range for all 4. If you're changing tires and can find a cheap set, you mind as well go ahead and change them, it will cost more later to discount and mount a tire again.

I really wish that the manufacturers used something like a CR2032 or CR2025 in the sensors. I wouldn't mind swapping 4 of those out every 2 years when I get tires.

I think they might actually use those. The only problem is that they're fully sealed. Probably tough to design a case that opens and can handle max revolutions at 150-200mph. Plus they make more money when you just have to replace the whole thing instead of just changing the battery.

uhg, I HATE TPMS. They don't activate until your far to underinflated, IMHO.. plus the headaches of wheel swaps (if you like to run seperate summer/winter) as well as extra points to leak, fail and cause dash lights, etc. And all of it could be avoided by simply purchasing a $3 tire gauge... Silly sheeple.

The good news is that since your car is a 2007, you don't have to have the TPMS
smile.gif

How is your Rondo in terms of reliability? I've always liked the rondo. It looks cool. Too bad they don't sell them here anymore (although you can still get one in Canada, and with a manual transmission too!)

I sold my 07 Sonata to my brother and it's still on al the original sensors.

I wouldn't replace until there's an issue.

On my Sonata, if memory serves, there was a module you could unplug to disable TPMS if the system had issues that you didn't want to fix. I personally probably wouldn't do that, but on some vehicles it can be done.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I really wish that the manufacturers used something like a CR2032 or CR2025 in the sensors. I wouldn't mind swapping 4 of those out every 2 years when I get tires.

+1,000!! They could very easily design a threaded battery cover that would hold it together, I think.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

+1,000!! They could very easily design a threaded battery cover that would hold it together, I think.

I agree. On the Ford stem type sensors, google 9L3Z-1A189-A, the sensor is held in place by the valve stem and a screw. It looks like the access panel for the battery is the portion of the sensor that is against the wheel.

I cracked open a broken Toyota TPMS, and it has a CR2032, the sort with a solder tab, in it. Of course it's impossible to reseal it back up... and unless if one uses nitrogen I'd be worried about exposed electronics to moisture. Maybe clean dry air would work.

I guess cost is coming down, so it's not crazy money all that often.

I've put Dorman TPMS sensors in my winter wheels a couple of years ago; so far, no issues. $35 each from Rock Auto with Dorman's "lifetime" warranty. The price is the same for their offerings for an '07 Rondo Dorman TPMS Sensors for '07 Kia Ronda Like you, I keep my cars a long time--so there's no point in paying for these bits twice.

Last edited:
FYI, according to RockAuto, a 2007 Kia Rondo uses either 52933-2G200, 52933-2G000 or 52933-3X200 factory TPMS.

In the past, I only change TPMS 1 at a time. Dealership and/or tire shops can detect which one fails. Rarely do all of them fail at once, but it can give you an estimate of life span.
Depending on your need and budget, I've noticed shops usually charge more for a 'universal' type fit sensor versus buying your own from the dealership.

In my case, it's not so much the batteries but they seem to leak air after a few years. It's Toyota TPMS sensor for the Sienna. I bought rebuilt kits but none of the mechanics (even Toyota service) can remove them without destroying them. The last time I watched the mechanic try to remove the sensor the stem kept turning with the nut. Vice grips would work but of course that will destroy the sensor. So one by one it's been replace with regular valve stems. I am down to two wheels with the original TPMS sensor. On the next tire replacement I will get new sensors for all four wheels.

Surprised that some sort of anti-sieze isn't used on TPMS bits. The Toyota ones in particular, since they are a metal stem with a metal cap, and prone to corrosion. Noalox or similar, maybe? A bit would go a long ways, I'd think.

I was tempted to buy sensors on Ebay, but you don't know how old they are.

Once assembled, the clock is running on the battery.

So I bought at the dealer and had a run down tire shop stick em in the wheels for a $10 fee!
Dealer stock turn often enough the one you get is about as fresh as it gets!

Also I got a TPMS scanner so I checked the dealer sensors at the parts counter! They know not to sell me any junk!!

Finally found a local tire guy to install the rebuilt kit to repair a slow leak. So now I am 1 for 3 instead of 0 for 2. I was ready to have the guy replace the sensor with a regular valve stem if it couldn't be repaired. After carefully removing the sensor with a 12mm socket he was confident he could scrape the rust off the stem. He showed me the sensor, most of the corrosion was located at the base of the stem. He took a wired brush to it and vigorously clean off all the rust. Installed a new rubber washer, another washer and the lock nut. Refilled the tire with air and checked for leaks. Looks good. So now the passenger side has two regular tire valve and the driver side has two TPMS valve.

And last Saturday, the Kia dealer did the installation of those 4 new TPMS sensors. There was at least 1 of the old ones where it was difficult to screw on the connection for my little air pump, which I have used when the [censored] low pressure light had come on from time to time, when it's very cold. At least this winter, the threads will be new & clean.
I remember 1 year I went for the nitrogen fill at changeover time, hoping it might spare me from having to add air some very cold night. It did not - but maybe it was a leak. Still, from now on, i have just used compressed air and saved the $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back